/ May 19, 2026
/ May 19, 2026

Man City set to replace Guardiola with Maresca

Published on

By

Enzo Maresca is set to replace Pep Guardiola as Manchester City manager before next season.

As BBC Sport reported on Monday, iconic City boss Guardiola is expected to leave the club following this Sunday’s home game against Aston Villa at Etihad Stadium, their final game of the season.

Former Chelsea head coach Maresca has been identified as the leading contender to replace the legendary Spaniard for the 2026-27 season.

With City preparing for Guardiola’s summer exit for more than six months, talks with Maresca are at an advanced stage.

The 46-year-old wants the job and is expected to be confirmed as Guardiola’s successor in due course.

The Italian manager, who won the Club World Cup and Conference League while securing Champions League qualification during his only full season at Stamford Bridge, previously worked at City.

He worked directly under Guardiola during City’s treble-winning 2022-23 campaign and played a key role in the club’s academy prior to joining the first team.

The former West Brom and Juventus midfielder left City in 2023 to manage Leicester, whom he guided to promotion to the Premier League in his only season.

Guardiola said previously: “One of the best managers in the world, Enzo Maresca, I know him quite well but, the job he has done at Chelsea does not get enough credit.

“Winning the Club World Cup, Conference League, qualification for the Champions League in a league that is so tough with a young team. It is exceptional.”

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Officials at a Nigerian airport conduct health surveillance checks following the NCAA Ebola alert.

NCAA issues Ebola alert, tightens airport surveillance

The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority has ordered airlines and airport operators to strengthen health surveillance measures following the Ebola outbreak in parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. According to a report by Channels Television, the NCAA issued the directive in a circular dated May 18, 2026, citing concerns over the possible cross-border spread of the Ebola Virus Disease through air travel. The authority said although Nigeria has not recorded any confirmed case linked to the latest outbreak, it is working with the Federal Ministry of Health, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Port Health Services and international health agencies to monitor developments closely. The outbreak was traced to a cluster of severe illnesses among healthcare workers in the Bunia Health Zone in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Laboratory investigations later confirmed the presence of the Bundibugyo virus strain of Ebola. The NCAA noted that there is currently no licensed vaccine specifically approved for the Bundibugyo strain, while treatment remains supportive and symptom-based. It listed common symptoms of Ebola Virus Disease as sudden fever, severe fatigue, persistent headache, vomiting, abdominal pain and bleeding signs including nosebleeds and vomiting blood. As part of preventive measures, the aviation regulator said disease surveillance systems at airports have been strengthened, while contact tracing, case reporting and border health screening procedures are also being reinforced. The authority directed pilots to report any suspected communicable disease cases onboard aircraft to Air Traffic Control in line with Nigeria Civil Aviation Regulations. Flight crew members were also instructed to complete Aircraft General Declaration forms for suspected cases, while airlines must ensure passenger locator forms are submitted to Port Health Services after arrival. The NCAA further mandated airlines to equip aircraft with first aid kits, universal precaution kits and emergency medical kits. Operators were also urged to intensify crew training on identifying and managing communicable diseases and comply strictly with infection prevention and control guidelines. The authority called on all aviation stakeholders to remain vigilant and adhere fully to public health protocols aimed at protecting passengers, crew members and the wider public.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.