/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

El-Rufai bail rejected after hospital disowns medical report

Published on

By

A Kaduna High Court has rejected a fresh bail application filed by former Kaduna State governor, Nasir el-Rufai, after the National Hospital Abuja denied issuing the medical report presented in support of his request.

 

According to TheCable, the ruling was delivered by Justice Darius Khobo, who dismissed the third bail application filed by el-Rufai in his ongoing trial over a nine-count charge brought by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

The ICPC said the application was based on a medical report claiming that el-Rufai had advanced metastatic prostate cancer requiring specialised treatment unavailable in Nigeria.

However, the anti-graft agency presented documentary evidence from the Chief Medical Director of the National Hospital, Abuja, stating that a search of the hospital’s records found no evidence that el-Rufai had ever been treated there.

According to the ICPC, the hospital also stated that the medical report was issued without the knowledge or authorisation of its management.

Justice Khobo ruled that the disputed medical report could not form the basis for granting bail after it had been disowned by the hospital.

The court nevertheless directed the ICPC to allow el-Rufai unrestricted access to his personal doctors and to escort him to any specialised diagnostic or medical facility of his choice within Nigeria while his trial continues.

El-Rufai is facing nine counts of alleged conferment of benefit under false pretences and dishonest disposal of loan funds. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

The former governor has remained in ICPC custody since February after being released by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission. His earlier bail applications were also refused, although he was temporarily released in March to attend his mother’s burial.

The ICPC is also prosecuting el-Rufai in a separate case before the Federal High Court in Kaduna.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.