/ Aug 19, 2026
/ Aug 19, 2026

Anambra community protests demolition of houses for power project

Published on

By

The indigenes of Ebenesi Community in Nnobi, Idemili South Local Government Area of Anambra State, have protested against the planned demolition of ancestral homes to make way for a power line project.

 

The residents staged the protest on Tuesday at the Obi Ezenabo Traditional Centre, appealing to President Bola Tinubu and Anambra State Governor Chukwuma Soludo to intervene in the dispute involving the community and the Transmission Company of Nigeria.

The protesters alleged that more than six elders had collapsed and died after their houses were marked for demolition. They also claimed that affected landlords were given 14 days to demolish their buildings or risk having them pulled down by the government, with the owners allegedly expected to bear the cost.

Chairman of Ebenesi Community, Chief Okechukwu Oraka, said the residents were not opposed to infrastructure development but objected to the demolition because no relocation arrangement had been provided for affected families.

Oraka also alleged that the power line route was diverted to Nnobi after the project had initially been planned to pass through other areas.

He said the community had occupied the area for more than 200 years and urged the authorities to consider an alternative route or construct the power lines underground.

The protesters, including youths and elderly residents, carried placards and chanted songs while calling for the project to be relocated or redesigned to prevent the destruction of residential buildings.

Representatives of affected villages, including Staley Izuegbu of Ifite Village, Bartholomew Ojukwu of Umuafor Village and the Secretary of Umuona Village, also appealed for an alternative arrangement.

An 81-year-old retired civil servant, Mrs Comfort Ngwudo, who spoke on behalf of residents above 80, urged the government to consider the impact of the planned demolition on elderly residents and families who have lived on the land for generations.

The protesters later took their demonstration to Awuda and Ngo quarters in Nnobi, as well as the palace of the traditional ruler, Igwe Nick Obi, and the residence of the President-General of Nnobi, Chief Sir Aloy Olubialu.

The traditional ruler, through his Palace Secretary, Ichie Obianumba Ajayiaku, and Olubialu commended the protesters for maintaining peace and assured them that their concerns would be communicated to the relevant authorities.

However, a top official of the Anambra State Physical Planning Board, Cletus Ohame, said on Wednesday that demolition notices had been duly served on the affected landlords.

Ohame said the area had been earmarked for the power line project for many years and described the project as part of infrastructural development.

The dispute therefore centres on the proposed power line route, with residents seeking relocation or an alternative route while authorities maintain that the affected area was previously designated for the project.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Taiwo Oyedele speaking at a tax policy event in Abuja on improving Nigeria's tax revenue and fiscal reforms.

Petrol subsidy removal saved Nigeria ₦15.8tn in 30 months – Oyedele 

The removal of Nigeria’s petrol subsidy saved the country ₦15.8 trillion between June 2023 and December 2025, according to the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele.   Oyedele disclosed the figure on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, during a press conference where he outlined the financial impact of the Federal Government’s economic reforms under President Bola Tinubu. According to the minister, the savings did not appear as a separate credit to the Federation Account labelled “subsidy savings”. Instead, they were reflected in resources available to the Federation. He said the Federal Government received ₦5.4 trillion, while ₦10.4 trillion was distributed to state and local governments through the Federation Account. Oyedele also disclosed that the Federal Government generated ₦3.1 trillion in additional independent revenue during the period, largely through remittances from government-owned entities and increased surpluses from government agencies. The government, he added, borrowed an additional ₦11.9 trillion between June 2023 and December 2025. Combined, the additional independent revenue and borrowing provided the Federal Government with ₦20.4 trillion in incremental resources during the period. However, Oyedele said total incremental expenditure stood at ₦30.64 trillion. The minister identified petrol subsidy removal and the unification of the foreign exchange market as key reforms introduced by the Tinubu administration to address longstanding economic challenges and reduce pressure on government finances. President Tinubu announced the removal of the petrol subsidy during his inauguration on May 29, 2023, declaring that “subsidy is gone”. The policy led to a sharp rise in petrol prices and increased transportation, logistics and production costs across the country. The Federal Government has defended the decision as necessary to reduce fiscal pressure and redirect public resources to other priorities. It has also introduced measures including wage adjustments, agricultural support and expanded Compressed Natural Gas initiatives to cushion the impact of the reforms.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.