/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

North Korea fires 10+ missiles after Trump’s Kim meeting plan

Published on

By

North Korea fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles towards the East Sea on Thursday, hours after US President Donald Trump said he planned to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un later this year.

 

South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the missiles were launched from the Pyongyang area at about 5pm local time and travelled roughly 300 kilometres. South Korean and US authorities were analysing the specifications of the missiles.

The launches came as the United States and South Korea conducted a shortened version of their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercises. The drills are designed to prepare the allies for a potential North Korean attack.

The exercises are due to end on Friday, about a week earlier than originally planned, following a US request. The Pentagon said the shortened drills would not reduce its training objectives.

Trump said on Wednesday that he expected to meet Kim later this year, reviving efforts to establish direct contact with the North Korean leader. The two men previously held three meetings during Trump’s first term, including summits in Singapore and Hanoi and a meeting at the Korean Demilitarised Zone in 2019.

Trump also said North Korea had 57 nuclear weapons. South Korean Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back told lawmakers on Thursday that Seoul estimated Pyongyang had between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, highlighting the uncertainty surrounding the size of the North’s nuclear arsenal.

Kim’s sister, Kim Yo Jong, said on Wednesday that she was unaware of any current communication between Trump and her brother, although she described their personal relationship as excellent.

South Korea’s presidential office held an emergency security meeting following the missile launches and condemned the tests as a violation of United Nations Security Council resolutions.

The latest launches underscore the tensions surrounding Washington’s renewed outreach to Pyongyang, despite the planned reduction in US-South Korean military exercises.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.