/ Aug 19, 2026
/ Aug 19, 2026

Army receives fighter jets for Aviation unit against Insurgency

Published on

By

The Nigerian Army Aviation Unit is set to roar to life with the arrival of two fighter jets to boost the operational capabilities of the Army.

The arrival of the Bell UH1 combat helicopters at the Nigerian Police Air wing of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja comes 10 years after a former Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Kenneth Minimah, unfolded the plan.

Current COAS, Lt. Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja had in 2023 disclosed that President Bola Tinubu had approved the acquisition of 12 MD 530F Cayuse Attack Helicopters for the reenergisation of the Army Aviation unit.

Receiving the fighter jets, an elated Lt-Gen Lagbaja said the dream of getting the aviation unit into operation had come to pass.

He said: “I am glad that, as conceptualised, 10 years later, we have today(yesterday) taken delivery of our first set of platforms.

“The journey, as predicted by the initial dreamers, has not been easy, but here we are by the grace of God, realising our dream.

Read Also:

Three presidential jets up for sale

“We are new to this business, and as newcomers, we must acknowledge our forerunners like the NAF(Nigerian Air Force), NN(Nigerian Navy), and the NPF(Nigeria Police Force).

“We are on our learning curve in the aviation business, and we hope it will be a pleasant experience that will enhance our operational successes.”

The Army chief said the jets would be used for casualty evacuation, reconnaissance, and surveillance.

Coordinator of the Aviation Wing, Brig.-Gen. M.S Alkali said the introduction of the advanced air platforms marked a new chapter in Army’s operational readiness and ability to respond swiftly and effectively to security challenges.

Brig.Gen. Alkali said: “These platforms will significantly bolster the reconnaissance, surveillance, and air mobility capabilities, thereby enhancing our overall operational effectiveness.

“As we integrate these platforms into our operations, let us also remember that the true strength of our aviation lies in the skilled and courageous personnel who operate and maintain these machines.

“Their professionalism, dedication, and expertise are the bedrock upon which our success is built.”

At another event in Kano, Kano State, Lt-Gen Lagbaja said that 120,000 Boko Haram fighters and their families had surrendered to troops in the Northeast.

Lagbaja announced the figure while delivering a keynote address at the Second-quarter edition of the Nigerian Army Civil-Military Cooperation Media Chat 2024.

He was represented at the event by the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 1 Division of the Nigerian Army, Maj. Gen. Mayirensa Saraso.

Lagbaja added that security agencies have been winning the war against internal challenges in the country.

His words: “The culminating effects of these operations include the rescue of abducted Nigerians, such as the 350 persons rescued from Sambisa forest last month, the surrender of over 120,000 Boko Haram fighters and their family members in the Northeast, the desire of over 20,000 Nigerian refugees in Cameroon to return to their ancestral homes in Borno and Adamawa states, and the thwarting/rescue of thousands of kidnapping incidents/victims across the country.

“You may be aware troops of the Nigerian Army operating with other security agencies have made significant milestones in operations across all theatres within Nigeria.’’

You May Like

One thought on “Army receives fighter jets for Aviation unit against Insurgency

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Parc des Princes stadium in Paris, where PSG’s Ligue 1 opener against Rennes was moved due to poor pitch condition.

PSG-Rennes match moved over poor condition of pitch.

Paris Saint-Germain’s opening Ligue 1 title-defence fixture against Rennes has been moved from the Parc des Princes to Rennes’ Roazhon Park because of concerns over the condition of the pitch.   The French professional football league, LFP, announced the change on Wednesday, saying the state of the Parc des Princes surface meant player safety could not be guaranteed. The match will still be played on Sunday, August 23, with the date and kick-off time unchanged. As a result of the venue switch, PSG will host Rennes at the Parc des Princes when the two sides meet again on the weekend of March 6. The venue change comes days after PSG suffered a 1-0 defeat to Lens in the Champions’ Trophy. Meanwhile, PSG left-back Nuno Mendes has been suspended for three matches following his red card in that defeat. The Portugal international was sent off in the 87th minute for elbowing Lens forward Michal Skoras. Mendes will miss PSG’s Ligue 1 fixtures against Lille and Monaco. Coach Luis Enrique could turn to new signing Lucas Digne, who recently joined from Aston Villa, as his replacement. Lens defender Kyllian Antonio was also handed a two-match suspension after being dismissed for a dangerous tackle during Lens’ victory.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.