/ May 18, 2026
/ May 18, 2026

Nationwide protest: Mutfwang imposes emergency 24- hour curfew on Jos/Bukuru metropolis

Published on

By

Plateau Governor Caleb Mutfwang, has imposed a 24-hour curfew on Jos/Bukuru Metropolis midnight of Sunday, August 4, 2024.

Mutfwang, in consultation with state security agencies, took the decision after reviewing the actions of those exploited the nationwide protest to unleash terror on citizens.

The Governor noted that these criminal elements, armed with daggers, machetes, and other dangerous weapons, broke into shops and restaurants along Bauchi Road and Zololo Junction, looting foodstuffs and other valuable items.

READ ALSO:

JUST IN: DSS arrests protest leader of #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria in Abuja

Mutfwang, in a statement by his spokesman Gyang Bere, emphasised that the curfew was in the best interest of all citizens and urged everyone to comply fully to ensure the safety and well-being of all residents.

He directed security agencies in the State to ensure the total enforcement of the curfew across Jos/Bukuru Metropolis.

He warned those planning to unleash further terror on innocent citizens to desist immediately or face the full wrath of the law.

The Governor also called on the relevant security agencies to remain vigilant and proactive in their duties to prevent any potential disruptions to law and order.

Mutfwang expressed gratitude to the citizens of Plateau State, particularly the clergy and imams, for their unwavering support of government’s policies and programs.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

APC party flag displayed during a political gathering amid controversy over aspirant disqualifications ahead of the 2027 elections.

One dead, several injured in Lagos APC primary clash

A supporter was shot dead during the All Progressives Congress  (APC) House of Representatives primary election in Lagos after violence broke out among rival party supporters in the Ikotun area. According to Punch Newspapers, the incident happened on Saturday at a primary school in Ile-Iwe, Egbe, where the party was conducting its primary election for aspirants seeking seats in the House of Representatives. Witnesses said the exercise had been peaceful before an argument started among supporters of different aspirants. The disagreement quickly escalated into chaos, with gunshots heard as people scrambled for safety. A resident told Punch that one man was struck by a bullet during the unrest, while several others sustained injuries. The victim was reportedly rushed away from the venue but died before reaching hospital. Another witness said the sound of gunfire triggered panic, forcing delegates and supporters to jump fences and hide in nearby homes as the situation worsened. A police source told Punch that additional security operatives were deployed to the venue after officers at the scene requested reinforcement. The Divisional Police Officer and Area Commander later restored calm, though no official arrest had been confirmed at the time of reporting. Efforts by Punch to reach Abimbola Adebisi, spokesperson for the Nigeria Police Force in Lagos State, were unsuccessful, while party officials had not issued any official statement as of press time. The shooting adds to concerns over recurring electoral violence in Nigeria, especially during party primaries and rerun elections, where clashes among political supporters often result in deaths, injuries and destruction of property.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.