/ Aug 19, 2026
/ Aug 19, 2026

Lagos state police barracks under threat of demolition over imminent collapse

Published on

By

The Lagos State Government has raised the alarm over an imminent building collapse at the Mopol 20 Barracks, Onigbongbo in the Ikeja area of the state.

This is as the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency is set to begin an emergency evacuation and demolition of the old Block 3 part of the barracks.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Permanent Secretary of LASEMA, Damilola Oke-Osanyintolu, said its response team had assessed some parts of the structure and found them in a precarious condition.

READ ALSO:

280 illegal structures set to be demolished in Lagos

The LASEMA boss stated the building and adjacent structures would also be evacuated immediately to prevent any loss of life or property.

“The agency dispatched a response team to the location and the findings indicate that the building and those adjacent must be evacuated with immediate effect. We are conducting a response plan which comprises an assessment, safe and orderly evacuation and controlled demolition.

“Under the watchful eye of the Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu administration, we will be carrying out this preemptive demolition action due to the precarious conditions of the building and possible secondary incidents that could occur if left unmanaged,” the statement partly read.

Oke-Osanyintolu, however, urged members of the public within the vicinity to remain calm and refrain from spreading misinformation on social media.

He also assured the public that the situation was being closely monitored and managed.

You May Like

One thought on “Lagos state police barracks under threat of demolition over imminent collapse

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Nigerian Army and NSCDC Mining Marshals officials during the handover of 18 suspected illegal miners arrested in Niger State.

Niger: Army arrests 18 illegal miners, recovers N2.47m

The Nigerian Army has arrested 18 suspected illegal miners and recovered N2.47m in cash and mining equipment during an operation in Izom, Gurara Local Government Area of Niger State.   The suspects were apprehended by troops of the 102 Guard Battalion during a routine operation after soldiers discovered alleged unauthorised mining activities at a site in the area. Following the arrests, the Army handed the suspects and recovered exhibits to the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps Mining Marshals headquarters in Sauka, Abuja, for further investigation and prosecution. The NSCDC Mining Marshals Commander, Assistant Commandant of Corps John Onoja Attah, commended the Army for its cooperation in tackling illegal mining and described the operation as a demonstration of professionalism and commitment to protecting Nigeria’s mineral resources. Preliminary investigations by the Mining Marshals indicated that the suspects allegedly operated without licences, permits or affiliation with any registered mining company. The investigators also said the suspects were unable to provide evidence of lawful mineral titles or authorisation from the relevant regulatory authorities. Items recovered from the mining site included motorcycles, pumping machines, crusher engines, communication devices and cash totalling N2,468,750. Attah said the Mining Marshals would continue intelligence-driven enforcement against illegal mining, which authorities have linked to concerns over environmental degradation, revenue losses and the unauthorised exploitation of Nigeria’s mineral resources. He added that the NSCDC would continue enforcing the provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act 2007 and working with security agencies to protect the country’s solid mineral resources. The Mining Marshals said investigations had been concluded and the suspects were being processed for prosecution under the relevant provisions of the law.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.