/ Aug 19, 2026
/ Aug 19, 2026

Tragedy as 10 killed, seven injured in a building collapse – Ibadan

Published on

By

10 persons were killed while seven others were injured in a building collapse in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, on Thursday morning.

A statement from the Oyo State Fire Services Agency disclosed that the incident happened at 2 am at Jegeda Oluloyo area in Ibadan in Ona Ara Local Government Area of the state.

The statement added that while 10 persons were recovered from the debris, seven persons were rescued alive, adding that rescue efforts are reported to be ongoing as of the time of filing this report.

READ ALSO:

JUST IN: Estate building collapses in Lagos, many feared dead, others trapped

The statement read, “The Oyo State Fire Services Agency received a distressed call at around 2 am this morning at Jegede Olunloyo area, Ibadan, of which 10 persons have been recovered from the debris of the collapsed building, while seven persons were rescued alive. Rescue operation is still going on.”

When reporters contacted the General Manager of the state Fire Services, Yemi Akinyinka, he said, “We received a distress call from the people in the neighbourhood at 2 am.

“When we got there, ten people died outrightly. Three people had been recovered before we got to the place, and our men recovered four. They are still working.”

You May Like

2 thoughts on “Tragedy as 10 killed, seven injured in a building collapse – Ibadan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

FCT officials demolishing a building obstructing a designated waterway in Maitama, Abuja, on August 18, 2026.

Flood: Election or not, Abuja will demolish houses on drainage ways – Wike

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has ordered the demolition of houses built on drainage channels in Abuja, warning that no property owner will be spared in the enforcement.   Wike announced the decision during a press briefing on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, following recent flooding in parts of the Federal Capital Territory. According to Channels Television, the minister said the flooding had exposed the consequences of developments obstructing designated waterways and drainage channels. He said the affected properties include those belonging to wealthy Nigerians and prominent individuals, dismissing suggestions that the enforcement would target ordinary residents. The FCT Administration has identified buildings obstructing waterways and plans to commence demolitions between Tuesday and Saturday. Wike also rejected claims that the exercise was politically motivated because of the approaching elections. “Election or not,” the minister said, the government would demolish houses obstructing waterways because “the right thing has to be done.” He maintained that political considerations would not prevent the government from enforcing Abuja’s master plan and addressing structures contributing to flooding.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.