/ May 18, 2026
/ May 18, 2026

Four die, more injured as demolition turns violent in Kano

Published on

By

Four persons were reported killed on Sunday night in Rimin Auzinawa, Ungogo Local Government Area of Kano State, following a clash between residents of the area and security operatives during a demolition.

 

Our correspondent learnt that the victims were allegedly shot dead when security personnel opened fire after residents resisted the destruction of their buildings.

 

The team, according to a witness, promptly began demolishing properties, which was met with stiff resistance from residents of the community.

 

“In the ensuing chaos, security operatives allegedly opened fire, killing two people on the spot, while two others were rushed to the hospital, where they were subsequently pronounced dead,” he said.

 

Another eyewitness told reporters operatives of the Kano Urban Planning and Development Authority had previously marked the affected buildings, mostly residential buildings under construction, for demolition.

 

The affected buildings were said to be about 40, while the disputed land belongs to the Bayero University, Kano.

READ ALSO:

Two dead, more injured as building collapses in Kano

A resident affected by the demolition who spoke on condition of anonymity, told our correspondent in a telephone interview on Monday, that the KNUPDA had initially cleared the properties, confirming they were not within the university’s land.

 

“We resolved all issues with KNUPDA. They assured us that our properties were not within the BUK land. But on Sunday night, officials of KNUPDA and security operatives arrived and demolished the buildings.

 

“When people resisted, security forces opened fire, killing four individuals who have now been buried. It’s a tragic situation,” the source said.

 

Efforts to obtain an official response from KNUPDA were unsuccessful, as efforts to contact the agency’s Managing Director proved abortive as his mobile phone was not switched off.

 

Meanwhile, the KNUPDA office had been deserted while most of the officials were alleged to have gone into hiding for fear of being attacked by the aggrieved residents of the area.

 

When contacted the Public Relations Officer of Kano State Police Command, SP Abdullahi Haruna, confirmed the incident.

 

He, however, directed our correspondent to contact the PRO of the state command of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps “as they have the casualty on their side.”

 

When contacted, the Public Relations Officer of the NSCDC, Kano Command, Ibrahim Abdullahi, confirmed the incident, adding that security personnel, including their officials, were deployed to the area to protect government property but were confronted with hostility.

 

 

“We went there to provide security and safeguard government properties. However, the residents attacked our personnel, injured one of our officers, and damaged our vehicles,” Abdullahi said.

 

When contacted, the Ministry of Lands and Physical Planning confirmed that the said lands in dispute belonged to the Bayero University but declined further comments.

 

Sources at the ministry revealed that the government would soon make its position known on the matter.

 

You May Like

One thought on “Four die, more injured as demolition turns violent in Kano

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Rescue workers search through rubble after three-storey building collapse in Durumi area of Abuja

Abuja building collapse, five dead, 10 rescued as search continues

A three-storey building under construction has collapsed in the Durumi 3 area near Abuja, leaving at least five people dead and 10 rescued alive, according to Punch Newspaper.   The incident happened on Saturday morning near Gudu Market, with emergency workers continuing efforts to reach people believed to still be trapped under the rubble. The report was first published by Punch, citing officials of the Federal Capital Territory Administration.   According to the FCTA, rescue teams recovered five bodies from the collapsed structure, while 10 survivors were pulled out alive. Search operations remained ongoing as responders combed through debris at the construction site in the Gudu district.   The statement was issued by Lere Olayinka, spokesperson to Nyesom Wike, who confirmed the scale of the incident and said additional victims may still be under the wreckage.   The FCT Mandate Secretary of Health Services and Environment Secretariat, Adedolapo Fasawe, visited the scene and said Wike had directed that all injured victims receive free medical treatment. Emergency teams including the Federal Fire Service, security agencies, health workers and local volunteers were seen at the site as residents gathered anxiously nearby.   Authorities have yet to confirm the cause of the collapse, while rescue operations continue.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.