/ Aug 17, 2026
/ Aug 17, 2026

Fubara, Assembly alerts supporters for fresh confrontation amidst Rivers budget ultimatum

Published on

By

Governor Siminalayi Fubara is set for a showdown with the Martin Amaewhule-led Rivers State House of Assembly as he rejected the 48-hour ultimatum issued by the lawmakers to present the 2025 budget.

 

The governor also dismissed the assembly’s opposition to his directive for outgoing local government chairmen to hand over to Heads of Local Government Administration.

 

He, however, told his supporters, especially youths, to remain unperturbed, adding that the time had come for Rivers people to take their destinies in their hands.

 

The latest confrontation comes in the wake of the Supreme Court’s February 28, 2025, ruling, which reinstated the 27 lawmakers loyal to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike.

 

The apex court also ordered the seizure of the state allocation and nullified the October 2024 local government poll conducted by the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission.

 

At their first sitting since the ruling, the pro-Wike legislators demanded that Fubara present the 2025 budget, titled, ‘Budget of Inclusive Growth and Development,’ within 48 hours.

 

The demand directly challenged the N1.1tn budget Fubara had signed into law on January 2, 2025, following its passage by the now-defunct Victor Oko-Jumbo-led Assembly.

 

The Supreme Court’s ruling ended months of leadership tussle in the state House of Assembly, with both factions previously laying claim to legitimacy.

 

However, the reinstated lawmakers wasted no time in asserting their authority, insisting that Fubara’s budget must be formally presented in line with constitutional provisions.

 

Amaewhule also criticised Fubara’s directive on local government administration, arguing that the Supreme Court had expressly ruled against non-elected officials administering councils.

 

The resolution of the Assembly lawmakers, sitting at the official legislative quarters along Aba Road in Port Harcourt, on Monday, followed a motion by the Deputy Speaker, Dumle Maol.

 

In his summation during plenary, Amaewhule kicked against Fubara’s directive for the LG chairmen to hand over to the heads of council administration, saying it was against the ruling of the Supreme Court.

 

“It is actually in flagrant disobedience to the judgment of the Supreme Court last year, particularly that judgment in SC/CV/343/2024 where the Supreme Court specifically said that Heads of Local Government cannot administer local government.

 

“Only elected officials are permitted by the constitution, by the judgment of the Supreme Court and of course the Rivers State Local Government Amended Law 2023, to administer our local government,” he asserted.

 

He also spoke on conducting the LG election in the state.

 

“Honourable members, you know that the Electoral Act amended by the National Assembly has made some adjustments to matters concerning elections and our LG Law and the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission Law which says how local government elections should be conducted in Rivers State definitely needs amendment, so that these two laws can now conform with the Electoral Act.

 

“These will be a prerequisite to any plan to conduct further local government elections in Rivers State. Once this House is done with this process of amending these two laws, the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission can, on the basis of the new law, commence preparations for fresh local government elections,” Amaewhule pointed out.

 

The assembly also announced that the lawmakers would proceed on a 12-week recess from Friday, March 7, but standing committees would be expected to continue statutory functions.

 

The government had earlier said it expected the Certified True Copy of the Supreme Court judgment by March 7, following which it would issue its positions on the apex court verdicts.

 

But the lawmakers, on Monday, resolved “That the House would proceed on a 12-week recess as from Friday 7th March 2025, but standing committees would be expected to continue statutory functions.

Read Also:

Fubara dismisses impeachment rumour, Rivers elders caution FG

“Please be informed that our resolutions are geared towards a quick fix to the current financial quagmire occasioned by the absence of an Appropriation Law for Rivers State. We do not want the Rivers State people to suffer. We, therefore, urge you to act fast and do the needful in the best interest of the good people of Rivers State.”

 

The assembly then addressed its resolutions to the governor, with copies sent to the Deputy Governor, Prof Ngozi Odu; the state Accountant-General and the RSIEC chairman.

 

Fubara, however, remained defiant, asserting that his administration would not be coerced into actions that contradicted legal interpretations.

 

Speaking at the inauguration of the Rivers State Government House Staff Quarters in Port Harcourt, Fubara reassured his supporters that governance in the state would continue despite the political turbulence.

 

The staff quarters located along Forces Avenue (opposite Government House) in Old GRA, Port Harcourt, were reconstructed by the administration.

 

Fubara said he had never subscribed to violence or asked the people to indulge in lawless acts, but warned that his administration would not look away when haters of the state struggled to unleash violence in the state.

 

He said, “No matter how we’ve been fooled in this state, it has gotten to a point when the people have to decide to take their destinies into their hands. Since I don’t subscribe to violence when the time comes for us to make a decision, I will lead the course for that decision.

 

“Let me say it again: I am not scared of anything. The worst that will happen is for me to leave the office. Am I leaving the earth? Is it going to stop me from existing? So, I am not even bothered about that. But the right thing must be done and must be said when the opportunity is given to us.

 

“Let me thank everyone, especially our youths. Be strong, don’t be perturbed. I assure you, at the right time, you will hear from us.”

 

He added that despite the unceasing antagonism against his administration, the course of governance was irreversible, as he assured his supporters of victory.

 

The governor noted how the news of the judgment of the Supreme Court dampened the spirit of Rivers people and charged them to brace up for what was ahead.

 

He said as humans, they may have felt disturbed by the apex court’s pronouncements but advised them to realise that God had their back.

 

“I want to thank you for your support and assure you that, if there is one person on this planet Earth that will continue to stand by you, I will be that person.

 

“I assure you that I will lead you with honour, I will lead you with respect, and I will lead you with integrity, knowing that when I leave here, I will have questions to answer if I am called upon 20 to 30 years from today.

 

“I want to be proud to defend my position. So, I thank you and assure you that I will not disappoint you,” he assured.

 

The governor expressed delight that his administration was foresighted to have conceived the project, executed it and, by the special grace of God, dedicated it to the glory of God for the use by the workers.

 

He stated that what had been achieved: the staff quarters and other projects lined up for inauguration were proof against what had been said in some quarters that there was no good governance in the state.

 

“When we came on board, this building was a dilapidated building, completely uninhabitable. We felt we must add value to what we met, and we decided that, look, our staff can’t be living in an uncomfortable place, they can’t live like animals while I live in a comfortable place.

 

“How would I get efficiency from my workers if they are not happy? That’s why the government decided to embark on this project. I am happy that the contractor delivered it within the time limit,” he said.

 

Fubara thanked the elders of the state who had continued to provide support and stand with his administration.

 

He assured them that he would not disappoint their expectation of providing good governance to the state.

 

Govt defends decisions

The Commissioner for Information and Communications, Joseph Johnson, speaking with The PUNCH on Monday, countered the stand of the lawmakers on the budget presentation.

 

Speaking on the 48-hour directive by the pro-Wike lawmakers to present the budget, Johnson said the government had yet to receive the CTC of the Supreme Court judgment, insisting that the state would act accordingly when received.

 

He described the language of the Amaewhule-led Assembly as undemocratic and disrespectful to the governor.

 

He said Fubara had shown good faith by directing the sacked LG chairmen to hand over to the HLGAs in the 23 LGs.

 

“I insist that we can only do as much as we can on that judgment when we receive the CTC.

 

“But to show good faith, the governor has even gone ahead to direct the LG chairmen to hand over to the Heads of Local Government Administration in their councils.

 

“And they (outgoing chairman) are handing over already. It will sound disrespectful to say the governor will do this. I’m not the governor. I’m just the commissioner for information. Let us wait, Friday is just here,” he said.

 

He faulted the lawmakers for ordering the governor to submit the budget within 48 hours.

 

“The issue of saying the governor has been ordered sounds too military. It is not a democratic language. Nobody orders anybody. By Friday, we will get the judgment, look at it and I will personally call the media to say this is what we have and this is what we are going to do. It is enough to say Au revoir,” he added.

 

Speaking on the council administration, Johnson said, “If there is no democratically elected official, shouldn’t the councils administer themselves? When you remove a commissioner, for instance, I’m the commissioner for information, if I’m removed, the next person to take over is the Permanent Secretary; true or false? So I leave that to the court of public opinion,” he said.

 

HLGAs take over

In compliance with the governor’s directive, the sacked local government chairmen in the state handed over to the HLGA in their respective councils on Monday.

 

The former chairman of Port Harcourt City Local Government Area, Ezebunwo Ichemati, handed over the administration of the council to Mr Clifford Paul.

 

Ichemati announced the handover in a statement on Monday, stating that it was in line with the governor’s directive.

 

While noting that though his stay was short-lived, having been elected in October 2024, he expressed satisfaction with what he was able to achieve.

 

He stated, “As a people, we believe that government is a continuum and governance at the third tier of government continues with the head of local government administration and other principal officers piloting the affairs of the local government.

 

“Though our stay was short, I believe it was marked by beautiful moments and a changed narrative, a departure from what local government administration used to be.”

 

He thanked the governor for the opportunity to serve while appreciating the people for their support.

 

Fubara/Wike supporters march

On Monday, the political face-off sparked protests and counter-demonstrations across the state.

 

There were pockets of protests and solidarity marches for Fubara in some local government areas of the state.

 

While pro-Fubara supporters took to the streets, chanting solidarity songs, supporters of Wike and the reinstated lawmakers mocked the governor’s predicament.

 

Videos circulating on social media captured rival groups engaging in symbolic demonstrations, further underscoring the deep divisions in the state.

 

Fubara’s supporters were seen chanting ‘Big man na big man, e no no dey by size.’

 

In Eleme Local Government Area, scores of Fubara’s supporters were seen on motorcycles, chanting a popular Ijaw song.

 

The youth were seen in twos on the bikes, singing and chanting, though peacefully, ‘No Sim, no network, Eleme is for Sim 100 per cent. Run o if you see us, hide your face. This one no be blue film, we dey play dey play, our face dey show, No Sim, no network.’

 

They also chanted the praise of the outgoing Eleme LG chairman, Brain Gokpa.

 

Another viral video emerged showing Wike’s supporters mocking Fubara, who they accused of embarking on a sacking spree.

 

The youth, who had gathered in a house, later marched out to the streets in an unknown location, saying “Every time you dey sack this, sack that, now how far?”

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Arsenal players celebrate their 3-0 Community Shield victory over Manchester City at the Principality Stadium.

Arsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to lift Community Shield

Arsenal beat Manchester City 3-0 in the Community Shield on Sunday, giving Mikel Arteta an early-season triumph while condemning new City boss Enzo Maresca to defeat in his first game in charge in the traditional curtain-raiser to the campaign.   With their fourth victory over City in the fixture, Arsenal maintained their 100% win record over their opponents with an emphatic performance at the Principality Stadium, where Riccardo Calafiori, Kai Havertz and Martin Odegaard found the net. “We showed our level today, we showed that we’re ready,” Odegaard told TNT Sports. “I think we showed that we’re serious, we want to do it again. There’s more trophies to go for and that’s the aim.” Having failed to convince in pre-season performances that raised a few eyebrows, Arsenal exploded into action with devastating effect right from kick-off, needing just 23 seconds to silence any lingering doubts about their readiness. Myles Lewis-Skelly was deployed in midfield and he threaded an excellent pass to set up left-back Calafiori, who calmly finished past Gianluigi Donnarumma to give Arsenal the perfect start against the FA Cup champions. The early strike — the first goal scored in the opening minute of the fixture in 58 years — set the tone for a dominant display where Arsenal looked fitter, sharper, more confident and full of attacking verve. Arsenal celebrate first premier league title since 2004 with massive parade City did not have a clear opportunity until the 20th minute, when Phil Foden curled a shot from range but David Raya was up to the task, diving to his right to deny the midfielder, and later saved a shot from Erling Haaland. Arsenal doubled their lead when Odegaard floated in a cross to the far post, where new signing Christos Tzolis headed the ball back across goal for Havertz to head home, with Donnarumma accidentally spilling the ball over the line. Arsenal needed just three minutes after the restart to make it 3-0, with Tzolis grabbing his second assist when he set up Odegaard, whose delicate first touch took the ball past Josko Gvardiol before he beat a wrong-footed Donnarumma with ease. Maresca’s side showed only flashes of their attacking threat, but Raya stood firm to preserve a clean sheet while Haaland — last season’s Golden Boot winner with 27 goals — was kept quiet and withdrawn before the hour mark. Arsenal kick off the new Premier League campaign on Friday against Coventry City, and Odegaard said they were going to play on the front foot to defend their crown. “We’re going to attack it. We want to do it again. It was an unbelievable achievement and experience for all of us,” he said. “When you get the taste of how nice it is, you want to do it again. And there’s also a few other ones we want to take,” he added, referring to the Champions League title that slipped through their fingers in the final against Paris Saint-Germain. “At this club, you want to win all of them. But of course, that’s a big one.” The Gunners’ victory over the FA Cup holders gave them their second trophy in four months and their 18th Community Shield title overall. The match was played at the Principality Stadium while Wembley hosts Canadian singer The Weeknd’s ‘After Hours til Dawn’ tour.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.