/ May 21, 2026
/ May 21, 2026

Everton hold Arsenal to 1-1 draw to leave Liverpool smiling

Published on

By

Arsenal’s faint Premier League title hopes suffered a potentially fatal blow as they were held to a draw at Everton.

The result means leaders Liverpool require only 11 points from their remaining eight games – starting with Fulham on Sunday – to guarantee themselves the title.

The first half an hour was a tetchy, stop-start affair but Arsenal broke the deadlock on 34 minutes with the first shot on target of the contest as Leandro Trossard drilled home a cool finish on the counter following Raheem Sterling’s pass.

Goalscorer Trossard could have doubled his tally on the stroke of half-time but his toe-poked effort was scrambled away by Jordan Pickford, while Declan Rice’s follow-up was blocked.

Everton equalised when they were awarded a penalty a minute into the second half – Myles Lewis-Skelly bundling over Jack Harrison inside the box and Iliman Ndiaye nervelessly stroking in the spot-kick.

The Toffees were rejuvenated after a poor first half showing and Abdoulaye Doucoure forced David Raya into a sharp save low down while at the other end, Rice’s thunderous free-kick was batted away by England team-mate Pickford.

Neither side were able to find a winning goal as Everton provided a boost to local rivals Liverpool by claiming a point.

You May Like

3 thoughts on “Everton hold Arsenal to 1-1 draw to leave Liverpool smiling

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.