/ May 21, 2026
/ May 21, 2026

Man City ease past Liverpool to go second

Published on

By

Pep Guardiola celebrated his 1,000th match as a manager in style as Manchester City cruised to victory against Liverpool at Etihad Stadium.

The meeting of two sides hoping to catch Premier League pace-setters Arsenal turned into a one-sided affair as City dominated to trim the Gunners’ lead to four points.

City halted Liverpool’s recent mini-revival in its tracks, with Erling Haaland almost inevitably setting them on their way as he continued his remarkable scoring form with his 28th goal for club and country this season.

Haaland had uncharacteristically wasted an earlier opportunity to give City the lead when his penalty was saved by Liverpool keeper Giorgi Mamardashvili, who had been penalised for upending Jeremy Doku.

The Norwegian striker made amends after 29 minutes with a soaring header into the right corner from Matheus Nunes’ cross, capping a magnificent passing move.

It was Haaland’s first goal against Liverpool in a match in which Virgil van Dijk has started.

Liverpool thought they had equalised before half-time when captain Van Dijk rose to head home Mohamed Salah’s corner, but their celebrations were curtailed as the goal was ruled out for offside, Andy Robertson ducking in front of City goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma to allow the ball to go in.

City added insult to Liverpool’s injury in first-half stoppage time when Nico Gonzalez’s 20-yard shot deflected in off Van Dijk, with Mamardashvili wrong-footed.

Doku tormented the Liverpool defence, Conor Bradley in particular, and the Belgian winger produced a moment of individual brilliance to extend City’s lead soon after the hour, curling a superb right-foot curling effort beyond Mamardashvili from 20 yards.

You May Like

7 thoughts on “Man City ease past Liverpool to go second

  1. Baixei o app da 9fgameapp e tô jogando direto no celular. Super prático e fácil de usar. Tem vários jogos legais e a conexão é bem estável. Recomendo pra quem quer se divertir em qualquer lugar!

  2. Hey y’all, just wanted to chime in about 9pgame. Easy to use for gambling that doesn’t require a huge investment. Got a few wins! If you’re looking for something different, try 9pgame.

  3. Great beat ! I wish to apprentice even as you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a weblog website? The account aided me a applicable deal. I were tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

  4. No long roads.
    No overexplaining.
    Only what matters, when it matters.

    Fresh signals.
    Clear mechanics.
    Moments that feel right — not forced.

    This is where rhythm meets timing,
    and timing quietly turns into advantage.

    You scroll — you get it.
    You stay — you feel it.

    https://t.me/s/portable_1WIN

    Slide in.
    Catch the flow.
    Stay where momentum lives.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.