/ Aug 17, 2026
/ Aug 17, 2026

Anambra: Two die in vigilante, gunmen shootout

Published on

By

The operatives of the Anambra Vigilante Group have killed two suspected gunmen said to be terrorising residents of the state.

It was gathered that the incident happened in the early hours of Monday in Okija, Ihiala Local Government Area of the state.

The Ihiala LGA is a border town between Imo and Anambra states and the hoodlums were said to have been terrorising members of the communities around the areas and also forcing them to comply with the Monday sit-at-home.

According to sources in the area, the gunmen, numbering about 15, stormed the camp of the vigilante operatives, thinking they were asleep and attempted to open fire on them before the security officials quickly mobilised and repelled them in a gun battle.

One of the sources said, “At about 3:00 am today, some hoodlums launched an attack on Anambra Security Forces but were vehemently resisted.

“Two of the gunmen were gunned down during a hot exchange of fire and two AK-47 rifles were also recovered, while many fled the scene.

“Many of the gunmen who fled as they could not withstand the superior firepower of the security operatives, sustained various degrees of injury and bullet wounds, while members of Anambra Security Forces were unscathed.”

While reacting to the development, Christian Aburime, the Press Secretary to the state governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, confirmed the incident in a statement.

Aburime said, “The need for a sane and secure environment in Anambra State remains a top priority of Governor Chukwuma Soludo’s administration. Accordingly, security forces remain unrelenting in their resolve to protect the lives and property of ndị Anambra, travellers, and all residents alike.”

Some of the residents who spoke about the development expressed delight, saying the hoodlums have been terrorising the area for a long time now.

A resident who gave her name simply as Chinwendu, said, “The hoodlums had been terrorising Okija for a long, most of the time, they come in the name of enforcing the Monday sit-at-home and use it to unleash mayhem.

“This is the reason the people in the area constituted a security committee. And we thank God that the initiative has started yielding results. Our people are determined to succeed on this project.”

When contacted, the Anambra State Police spokesman, DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, confirmed the development while calling on operators of both private and public hospitals to report any patient with bullet wounds.

Ikenga added that the police are already in a joint operation with the vigilante operatives to arrest the fleeing gang members who sustained gunshot injuries or otherwise.

“The AVG operatives repelled the attack in the early hours of today, 19/6/2023 at their office at Okija, demobilised two of the attackers, and recovered two Ak-47 rifles. No life was lost among the operatives and the AVG office is still intact.

“Also, the Command wants to use this opportunity to call on the proprietors of both private and public hospitals to admit but report all persons with gunshot or related injuries to the nearest police station.

“From what our men were able to find out, the fleeing suspects sustained bullet injuries, and we are working with AVG operatives to ensure we track them down.

“We are only calling on operators of private hospitals and managers of public hospitals in the area to be alert and report people with bullet injuries when they come for treatment.

“You may not entirely reject them, but upon admission, make sure you alert the police, so we can pick such a person and investigate the source of such a bullet injury,” Ikenga added.

You May Like

3 thoughts on “Anambra: Two die in vigilante, gunmen shootout

  1. Good write ups Cheers!
    casino en ligne fiable
    You actually revealed that terrifically.
    casino en ligne fiable
    Really all kinds of superb information.
    casino en ligne fiable
    Factor nicely considered..
    casino en ligne France
    Regards. Wonderful information.
    casino en ligne
    Truly lots of wonderful knowledge.
    casino en ligne
    Thanks a lot! Quite a lot of advice!
    casino en ligne francais
    Thanks a lot! I appreciate this.
    casino en ligne
    Terrific stuff, Cheers.
    casino en ligne
    Good material. Cheers!
    casino en ligne

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Arsenal players celebrate their 3-0 Community Shield victory over Manchester City at the Principality Stadium.

Arsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to lift Community Shield

Arsenal beat Manchester City 3-0 in the Community Shield on Sunday, giving Mikel Arteta an early-season triumph while condemning new City boss Enzo Maresca to defeat in his first game in charge in the traditional curtain-raiser to the campaign.   With their fourth victory over City in the fixture, Arsenal maintained their 100% win record over their opponents with an emphatic performance at the Principality Stadium, where Riccardo Calafiori, Kai Havertz and Martin Odegaard found the net. “We showed our level today, we showed that we’re ready,” Odegaard told TNT Sports. “I think we showed that we’re serious, we want to do it again. There’s more trophies to go for and that’s the aim.” Having failed to convince in pre-season performances that raised a few eyebrows, Arsenal exploded into action with devastating effect right from kick-off, needing just 23 seconds to silence any lingering doubts about their readiness. Myles Lewis-Skelly was deployed in midfield and he threaded an excellent pass to set up left-back Calafiori, who calmly finished past Gianluigi Donnarumma to give Arsenal the perfect start against the FA Cup champions. The early strike — the first goal scored in the opening minute of the fixture in 58 years — set the tone for a dominant display where Arsenal looked fitter, sharper, more confident and full of attacking verve. Arsenal celebrate first premier league title since 2004 with massive parade City did not have a clear opportunity until the 20th minute, when Phil Foden curled a shot from range but David Raya was up to the task, diving to his right to deny the midfielder, and later saved a shot from Erling Haaland. Arsenal doubled their lead when Odegaard floated in a cross to the far post, where new signing Christos Tzolis headed the ball back across goal for Havertz to head home, with Donnarumma accidentally spilling the ball over the line. Arsenal needed just three minutes after the restart to make it 3-0, with Tzolis grabbing his second assist when he set up Odegaard, whose delicate first touch took the ball past Josko Gvardiol before he beat a wrong-footed Donnarumma with ease. Maresca’s side showed only flashes of their attacking threat, but Raya stood firm to preserve a clean sheet while Haaland — last season’s Golden Boot winner with 27 goals — was kept quiet and withdrawn before the hour mark. Arsenal kick off the new Premier League campaign on Friday against Coventry City, and Odegaard said they were going to play on the front foot to defend their crown. “We’re going to attack it. We want to do it again. It was an unbelievable achievement and experience for all of us,” he said. “When you get the taste of how nice it is, you want to do it again. And there’s also a few other ones we want to take,” he added, referring to the Champions League title that slipped through their fingers in the final against Paris Saint-Germain. “At this club, you want to win all of them. But of course, that’s a big one.” The Gunners’ victory over the FA Cup holders gave them their second trophy in four months and their 18th Community Shield title overall. The match was played at the Principality Stadium while Wembley hosts Canadian singer The Weeknd’s ‘After Hours til Dawn’ tour.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.