/ Aug 17, 2026
/ Aug 17, 2026

US involvement in Venezuela could last years – Trump

Published on

By

United States President, Donald Trump, has said the United States’ involvement in Venezuela could last for years following the removal of ousted President Nicolás Maduro.

Speaking to the New York Times, Trump said “only time will tell” how long his administration would “oversee” the South American country after US forces seized Maduro during a raid on Saturday.

The president did not say if or when elections would be held to replace the interim government led by Maduro loyalist Delcy Rodríguez.

Venezuelan opposition figure María Corina Machado, however, said Maduro’s removal had triggered an “irreversible process” that would make Venezuela “free”.

Trump made the remarks while responding to questions from New York Times journalists days after announcing that his administration would run the oil-rich nation.

Earlier on Wednesday, the White House said the US would control sales of sanctioned Venezuelan oil “indefinitely”. US Energy Secretary Chris Wright said the move was needed to give Washington leverage over the interim government in Caracas.

Trump said his administration would be “taking oil” from Venezuela, which holds the world’s largest proven oil reserves, but admitted it would “take a while” to revive the country’s struggling oil industry.

Venezuela’s oil output has declined sharply due to years of mismanagement under the Maduro government and his predecessor, as well as prolonged US sanctions.

Trump also told the NYT that US Secretary of State Marco Rubio was “in constant communication” with Rodríguez, who was named interim leader by Venezuela’s Supreme Court, which is dominated by Maduro loyalists.

He said Rodríguez was “giving us everything that we feel is necessary” and added that the interim government had agreed to use oil revenues to purchase only US-made goods.

According to NYT reporters, Trump declined to explain why he recognised Rodríguez as Venezuela’s new leader.

Many analysts had expected the fall of Maduro to be followed by the swift return of opposition leaders Edmundo González and Machado. However, Trump was dismissive of Machado during his first news conference after the raid, claiming she lacked the “respect” and support to govern.

“I think it would be very tough for her to be the leader,” he said.

Machado had united opposition groups ahead of the 2024 presidential election but was barred from running by officials loyal to Maduro. She later backed former diplomat González as her proxy.

Although the electoral council declared Maduro re-elected, opposition vote tallies independently verified showed González won by a landslide. González later went into exile, while Machado went into hiding inside Venezuela.

In December, Machado travelled through land, sea and air to Oslo to receive the Nobel Peace Prize for her “tireless work promoting democratic rights” in Venezuela. Her current whereabouts are unknown, but she has said she plans to return soon.

In an interview with opposition news site La Patilla, Machado said Maduro’s removal had placed Venezuela on an irreversible path to freedom. She expressed hope that the transition would be “as short and swift as possible”.

She described the interim government as “the same regime it was under Maduro” and said it was “being given instructions to dismantle itself”.

Machado maintained that González was the legitimate president-elect and called for his mandate to be respected, stressing that “the first thing” needed was the release of political prisoners.

More than 800 political detainees are believed to be held in Venezuela’s prisons. On Wednesday, Republican lawmaker María Elvira Salazar called for their release “immediately”.

However, the NYT reporters said Trump “appeared far more focused on the rescue mission than the details of how to navigate Venezuela’s future”.

When asked about US plans for the country, Trump said “we will rebuild it in a very profitable way”.

He added: “We’re going to be using oil, and we’re going to be taking oil. We’re getting oil prices down, and we’re going to be giving money to Venezuela, which they desperately need.”

Trump is expected to meet executives from three major US oil companies at the White House on Friday.

Meanwhile, the US Senate voted 52–47 on Thursday to advance a resolution aimed at blocking further US military action in Venezuela.

The move allows debate under the War Powers Act and marks the first time during Trump’s second term that the Senate has voted to limit his use of military force.

The resolution remains largely symbolic, as it must still pass the House and could be vetoed by the president.

You May Like

8 thoughts on “US involvement in Venezuela could last years – Trump

  1. Dive into a world of strategy and puzzle-solving with this gem! The intricate level design and satisfying progression will keep you hooked for hours. If you’re looking for a brain-bending challenge, full circle is definitely worth your time. It’s a fantastic way to exercise your mind!

  2. Admiring the hard work you put into your website and in depth information you offer. It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same outdated rehashed information. Excellent read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

  3. Okay, folks, I had a quick peek at gi88. Not bad at all! Maybe missing some popular games, but worth checking to see if it’s right for you. Have a nose here gi88.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Arsenal players celebrate their 3-0 Community Shield victory over Manchester City at the Principality Stadium.

Arsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to lift Community Shield

Arsenal beat Manchester City 3-0 in the Community Shield on Sunday, giving Mikel Arteta an early-season triumph while condemning new City boss Enzo Maresca to defeat in his first game in charge in the traditional curtain-raiser to the campaign.   With their fourth victory over City in the fixture, Arsenal maintained their 100% win record over their opponents with an emphatic performance at the Principality Stadium, where Riccardo Calafiori, Kai Havertz and Martin Odegaard found the net. “We showed our level today, we showed that we’re ready,” Odegaard told TNT Sports. “I think we showed that we’re serious, we want to do it again. There’s more trophies to go for and that’s the aim.” Having failed to convince in pre-season performances that raised a few eyebrows, Arsenal exploded into action with devastating effect right from kick-off, needing just 23 seconds to silence any lingering doubts about their readiness. Myles Lewis-Skelly was deployed in midfield and he threaded an excellent pass to set up left-back Calafiori, who calmly finished past Gianluigi Donnarumma to give Arsenal the perfect start against the FA Cup champions. The early strike — the first goal scored in the opening minute of the fixture in 58 years — set the tone for a dominant display where Arsenal looked fitter, sharper, more confident and full of attacking verve. Arsenal celebrate first premier league title since 2004 with massive parade City did not have a clear opportunity until the 20th minute, when Phil Foden curled a shot from range but David Raya was up to the task, diving to his right to deny the midfielder, and later saved a shot from Erling Haaland. Arsenal doubled their lead when Odegaard floated in a cross to the far post, where new signing Christos Tzolis headed the ball back across goal for Havertz to head home, with Donnarumma accidentally spilling the ball over the line. Arsenal needed just three minutes after the restart to make it 3-0, with Tzolis grabbing his second assist when he set up Odegaard, whose delicate first touch took the ball past Josko Gvardiol before he beat a wrong-footed Donnarumma with ease. Maresca’s side showed only flashes of their attacking threat, but Raya stood firm to preserve a clean sheet while Haaland — last season’s Golden Boot winner with 27 goals — was kept quiet and withdrawn before the hour mark. Arsenal kick off the new Premier League campaign on Friday against Coventry City, and Odegaard said they were going to play on the front foot to defend their crown. “We’re going to attack it. We want to do it again. It was an unbelievable achievement and experience for all of us,” he said. “When you get the taste of how nice it is, you want to do it again. And there’s also a few other ones we want to take,” he added, referring to the Champions League title that slipped through their fingers in the final against Paris Saint-Germain. “At this club, you want to win all of them. But of course, that’s a big one.” The Gunners’ victory over the FA Cup holders gave them their second trophy in four months and their 18th Community Shield title overall. The match was played at the Principality Stadium while Wembley hosts Canadian singer The Weeknd’s ‘After Hours til Dawn’ tour.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.