/ May 18, 2026
/ May 18, 2026

Mali drone strikes kill 10 civilians at traditional wedding gathering

Published on

By

At least 10 civilians were killed in central Mali after military drone strikes hit villagers preparing for a traditional mass wedding, according to reports by AFP published via Channels Television.

The attack happened in the Tene locality in the San region on Sunday, turning what residents described as a celebration into mourning. Local sources told AFP that those killed were among villagers making final preparations for the community wedding event.

A resident, speaking anonymously to AFP, said 10 young people died in the strike, adding that the village had been expecting a joyful occasion before the tragedy unfolded.

Security sources cited by AFP said the military targeted a procession of motorbikes travelling in formation, which may have drawn the attention of surveillance drones. A local elected official also confirmed the death toll, saying the strike hit shortly before the wedding ceremony.

The incident comes as Mali’s military government faces growing instability after a wave of coordinated attacks in late April by jihadist groups linked to al-Qaeda and separatist forces. The offensive targeted key northern towns and reportedly killed the country’s defence minister.

The violence has intensified around northern regions including Kidal, where separatist groups from the Azawad Liberation Front and allied militants have seized control of several towns. The capital, Bamako, has also reportedly been affected by a blockade.

Mali has faced prolonged insecurity since 2012, with armed groups linked to al-Qaeda, the Islamic State, separatist factions and criminal networks fuelling conflict across large parts of the country.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

APC party flag displayed during a political gathering amid controversy over aspirant disqualifications ahead of the 2027 elections.

One dead, several injured in Lagos APC primary clash

A supporter was shot dead during the All Progressives Congress  (APC) House of Representatives primary election in Lagos after violence broke out among rival party supporters in the Ikotun area. According to Punch Newspapers, the incident happened on Saturday at a primary school in Ile-Iwe, Egbe, where the party was conducting its primary election for aspirants seeking seats in the House of Representatives. Witnesses said the exercise had been peaceful before an argument started among supporters of different aspirants. The disagreement quickly escalated into chaos, with gunshots heard as people scrambled for safety. A resident told Punch that one man was struck by a bullet during the unrest, while several others sustained injuries. The victim was reportedly rushed away from the venue but died before reaching hospital. Another witness said the sound of gunfire triggered panic, forcing delegates and supporters to jump fences and hide in nearby homes as the situation worsened. A police source told Punch that additional security operatives were deployed to the venue after officers at the scene requested reinforcement. The Divisional Police Officer and Area Commander later restored calm, though no official arrest had been confirmed at the time of reporting. Efforts by Punch to reach Abimbola Adebisi, spokesperson for the Nigeria Police Force in Lagos State, were unsuccessful, while party officials had not issued any official statement as of press time. The shooting adds to concerns over recurring electoral violence in Nigeria, especially during party primaries and rerun elections, where clashes among political supporters often result in deaths, injuries and destruction of property.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.