/ Aug 18, 2026
/ Aug 18, 2026

Mali drone strikes kill 10 civilians at traditional wedding gathering

Published on

By

At least 10 civilians were killed in central Mali after military drone strikes hit villagers preparing for a traditional mass wedding, according to reports by AFP published via Channels Television.

The attack happened in the Tene locality in the San region on Sunday, turning what residents described as a celebration into mourning. Local sources told AFP that those killed were among villagers making final preparations for the community wedding event.

A resident, speaking anonymously to AFP, said 10 young people died in the strike, adding that the village had been expecting a joyful occasion before the tragedy unfolded.

Security sources cited by AFP said the military targeted a procession of motorbikes travelling in formation, which may have drawn the attention of surveillance drones. A local elected official also confirmed the death toll, saying the strike hit shortly before the wedding ceremony.

The incident comes as Mali’s military government faces growing instability after a wave of coordinated attacks in late April by jihadist groups linked to al-Qaeda and separatist forces. The offensive targeted key northern towns and reportedly killed the country’s defence minister.

The violence has intensified around northern regions including Kidal, where separatist groups from the Azawad Liberation Front and allied militants have seized control of several towns. The capital, Bamako, has also reportedly been affected by a blockade.

Mali has faced prolonged insecurity since 2012, with armed groups linked to al-Qaeda, the Islamic State, separatist factions and criminal networks fuelling conflict across large parts of the country.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

FCT officials demolishing a building obstructing a designated waterway in Maitama, Abuja, on August 18, 2026.

Flood: Election or not, Abuja will demolish houses on drainage ways – Wike

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has ordered the demolition of houses built on drainage channels in Abuja, warning that no property owner will be spared in the enforcement.   Wike announced the decision during a press briefing on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, following recent flooding in parts of the Federal Capital Territory. According to Channels Television, the minister said the flooding had exposed the consequences of developments obstructing designated waterways and drainage channels. He said the affected properties include those belonging to wealthy Nigerians and prominent individuals, dismissing suggestions that the enforcement would target ordinary residents. The FCT Administration has identified buildings obstructing waterways and plans to commence demolitions between Tuesday and Saturday. Wike also rejected claims that the exercise was politically motivated because of the approaching elections. “Election or not,” the minister said, the government would demolish houses obstructing waterways because “the right thing has to be done.” He maintained that political considerations would not prevent the government from enforcing Abuja’s master plan and addressing structures contributing to flooding.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.