/ May 18, 2026
/ May 18, 2026

Flooding submerges collapsed Kwara bridge, leaves commuters stranded

Published on

By

Severe flooding has submerged the already-collapsed Moro Bridge in Kwara State, stranding commuters and disrupting traffic along the Ilorin–Igbeti Federal Highway after overnight rainfall caused the Moro River to overflow.

According to PUNCH Newspaper, several vehicles were trapped in rising floodwaters on Monday, with some passengers seen climbing onto car roofs while awaiting rescue. The route is a major interstate corridor linking Kwara to Oyo State and onward toward the Benin border.

The bridge had already collapsed on April 30 after an articulated truck reportedly crossed the ageing structure. The latest flooding has worsened access, as the temporary diversion promised by the state government has not yet been completed.

Residents around the affected axis said economic activity has been hit hard, with transport costs rising and travel times increasing. A local trader, Kafayat, said the disruption had affected both businesses and commuters relying on the route.

The state’s Commissioner for Works, Abdulquawiy Olododo, had earlier said engineers were deployed to begin palliative work and that construction was continuing on a new bridge close to the failed structure. However, Monday’s flooding has raised fresh concerns over the pace of intervention.

The bridge, a colonial-era Bailey structure, has served as a key crossing between parts of Kwara and Oyo for decades, but has repeatedly undergone repairs due to structural defects. With the peak rainy season approaching, residents fear the situation could deteriorate further if urgent work is not completed.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Dani Carvajal pictured in Real Madrid colours ahead of his final match at Santiago Bernabeu after the club confirmed his exit.

Dani Carvajal leaves Real Madrid as club confirms summer exit

Dani Carvajal will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season, ending a decorated spell that saw the veteran defender become one of the club’s most successful players. The Spanish giants confirmed the decision on Monday, saying the 34-year-old will play his final game at Santiago Bernabéu Stadium this weekend when Madrid host Athletic Bilbao in their final home match of the campaign. According to Channels Television, Carvajal departs after making 450 appearances for Madrid and winning 27 trophies, including six UEFA Champions League titles and four La Liga crowns. In a statement, the club described Carvajal as “one of the greatest legends” in its history, while club president Florentino Pérez called him “a symbol of Real Madrid and its academy”. Carvajal came through Madrid’s famed academy system before briefly joining Bayer Leverkusen in 2012. The defender returned to Madrid a year later and became a key figure in one of the club’s most dominant modern eras. His final season has been disrupted by injuries, with Spanish reports suggesting he will miss out on selection for Spain national football team at this summer’s FIFA World Cup. Carvajal’s departure closes a major chapter for Madrid, who are set to finish a second consecutive season without a major trophy.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.