/ May 19, 2026
/ May 19, 2026

Desmond Elliot denies role in Obasa impeachment saga

Published on

By

Desmond Elliot has denied claims that he orchestrated the 2025 impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa, insisting he only signed the document after most lawmakers had already backed the move.

Speaking on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Tuesday, Elliot said he was out of Nigeria when the decision to remove Obasa was taken and had no hand in initiating the process.

The denial followed comments by Femi Gbajabiamila, who told APC stakeholders in Lagos that Elliot was among those involved in the controversial move against the Speaker. Gbajabiamila said the crisis nearly cost him his position in government.

Elliot rejected that account, saying the issue had already been resolved and the Lagos Assembly had moved on after Obasa’s reinstatement.

He said he initially believed the removal had the blessing of Bola Tinubu and only signed after returning to Nigeria and seeing that most lawmakers had already endorsed the action.

According to Elliot, Tinubu later clarified that he neither authorised nor ordered Obasa’s removal, prompting lawmakers to reverse course and restore the Speaker.

The Surulere lawmaker also said he was shocked by Gbajabiamila’s public comments, noting that he had always regarded the former Speaker of the House of Representatives as a political mentor.

Elliot, who is seeking a fourth term in the Lagos State House of Assembly, also dismissed speculation that APC leaders were backing another candidate to replace him ahead of party primaries.

He said no senior party official had asked him to withdraw from the race and maintained that his political future should be decided by voters in Surulere.

The Channels Television report recalled that Obasa was removed in early 2025 over allegations of abuse of office and gross misconduct. Mojisola Meranda briefly became Speaker before stepping down after Tinubu’s intervention, paving the way for Obasa’s return.

A court later nullified the Assembly proceedings that led to the impeachment, effectively closing the legal chapter of the dispute.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Officials at a Nigerian airport conduct health surveillance checks following the NCAA Ebola alert.

NCAA issues Ebola alert, tightens airport surveillance

The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority has ordered airlines and airport operators to strengthen health surveillance measures following the Ebola outbreak in parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. According to a report by Channels Television, the NCAA issued the directive in a circular dated May 18, 2026, citing concerns over the possible cross-border spread of the Ebola Virus Disease through air travel. The authority said although Nigeria has not recorded any confirmed case linked to the latest outbreak, it is working with the Federal Ministry of Health, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Port Health Services and international health agencies to monitor developments closely. The outbreak was traced to a cluster of severe illnesses among healthcare workers in the Bunia Health Zone in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Laboratory investigations later confirmed the presence of the Bundibugyo virus strain of Ebola. The NCAA noted that there is currently no licensed vaccine specifically approved for the Bundibugyo strain, while treatment remains supportive and symptom-based. It listed common symptoms of Ebola Virus Disease as sudden fever, severe fatigue, persistent headache, vomiting, abdominal pain and bleeding signs including nosebleeds and vomiting blood. As part of preventive measures, the aviation regulator said disease surveillance systems at airports have been strengthened, while contact tracing, case reporting and border health screening procedures are also being reinforced. The authority directed pilots to report any suspected communicable disease cases onboard aircraft to Air Traffic Control in line with Nigeria Civil Aviation Regulations. Flight crew members were also instructed to complete Aircraft General Declaration forms for suspected cases, while airlines must ensure passenger locator forms are submitted to Port Health Services after arrival. The NCAA further mandated airlines to equip aircraft with first aid kits, universal precaution kits and emergency medical kits. Operators were also urged to intensify crew training on identifying and managing communicable diseases and comply strictly with infection prevention and control guidelines. The authority called on all aviation stakeholders to remain vigilant and adhere fully to public health protocols aimed at protecting passengers, crew members and the wider public.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.