/ May 19, 2026
/ May 19, 2026

Desmond Elliot denies role in Obasa impeachment saga

Published on

By

Desmond Elliot has denied claims that he orchestrated the 2025 impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa, insisting he only signed the document after most lawmakers had already backed the move.

Speaking on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Tuesday, Elliot said he was out of Nigeria when the decision to remove Obasa was taken and had no hand in initiating the process.

The denial followed comments by Femi Gbajabiamila, who told APC stakeholders in Lagos that Elliot was among those involved in the controversial move against the Speaker. Gbajabiamila said the crisis nearly cost him his position in government.

Elliot rejected that account, saying the issue had already been resolved and the Lagos Assembly had moved on after Obasa’s reinstatement.

He said he initially believed the removal had the blessing of Bola Tinubu and only signed after returning to Nigeria and seeing that most lawmakers had already endorsed the action.

According to Elliot, Tinubu later clarified that he neither authorised nor ordered Obasa’s removal, prompting lawmakers to reverse course and restore the Speaker.

The Surulere lawmaker also said he was shocked by Gbajabiamila’s public comments, noting that he had always regarded the former Speaker of the House of Representatives as a political mentor.

Elliot, who is seeking a fourth term in the Lagos State House of Assembly, also dismissed speculation that APC leaders were backing another candidate to replace him ahead of party primaries.

He said no senior party official had asked him to withdraw from the race and maintained that his political future should be decided by voters in Surulere.

The Channels Television report recalled that Obasa was removed in early 2025 over allegations of abuse of office and gross misconduct. Mojisola Meranda briefly became Speaker before stepping down after Tinubu’s intervention, paving the way for Obasa’s return.

A court later nullified the Assembly proceedings that led to the impeachment, effectively closing the legal chapter of the dispute.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Davido reacts on social media during growing political tension in Osun ahead of the August governorship election.

Davido attacks Oyetola as Osun election tension rises

Afrobeats star Davido has publicly criticised Gboyega Oyetola, accusing the former Osun State governor of political desperation ahead of the state’s governorship election. According to TheCable Lifestyle, the singer made the comments on Tuesday through social media posts, where he described Oyetola as “the most desperate politician in the world” and alleged that his plans in Osun would fail. Davido wrote on X that Oyetola was “very embarrass”, before following up with another post claiming the current Minister of Marine and Blue Economy was plotting to cause trouble in the state. The outburst comes as political activities intensify before the August 15 governorship election in Osun. The singer has become increasingly active in the state’s politics in recent months. The comments also follow allegations by Accord Party that thugs linked to the All Progressives Congress attacked the campaign office of Governor Ademola Adeleke in Osogbo. TheCable reported that the party’s national chairman, Maxwell Mgbuden, said the attack was the second on the governor’s campaign office within two weeks. He alleged that armed men fired shots, shattered windows and vandalised offices inside the building. Mgbuden further claimed that the attackers wrote “Say no to automatic ticket” on the wall, alleging an attempt to destabilise the state’s political environment ahead of the poll. Davido’s political involvement deepened in April when he was appointed head of youth mobilisation for the Accord Party campaign council supporting Adeleke’s re-election bid. He later inaugurated the Imole youth mobilisation campaign council as part of preparations for the election.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.