/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

INEC July 11 deadline sparks rush among 2027 Presidential candidates

Published on

By

Political parties are making a final push to meet the July 11 deadline set by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the submission of presidential and National Assembly nomination forms ahead of Nigeria’s 2027 general election.

 

According to The PUNCH, political parties must submit completed Forms EC9 and EC9A to EC9E through INEC’s online nomination portal by 6pm on Saturday, July 11, in line with Section 29(1) of the Electoral Act 2026.

So far, the African Democratic Congress (ADC) has submitted the names of its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, and running mate, Rotimi Amaechi, while the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) has uploaded the nomination of Peter Obi and his running mate, Rabiu Kwankwaso.

President Bola Tinubu, the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, has yet to officially announce his running mate, although Vice President Kashim Shettima is widely expected to retain the position. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Sandy Onor, is also yet to unveil a running mate.

The report noted that the APC may adopt the same strategy it used before the 2023 election by submitting a placeholder vice-presidential candidate before replacing the nominee ahead of INEC’s August 22 substitution deadline.

Party sources told The PUNCH that the APC has already uploaded the Senate nomination forms of Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, Yobe State Governor Mai Mala Buni, Imo State Governor Hope Uzodimma, and several National Assembly candidates.

An APC source said the nomination process has progressed smoothly, adding that the party expects to upload the President’s nomination and that of his running mate before the deadline.

Meanwhile, the PDP says it has completed about 60 per cent of the upload of its National Assembly candidates. National Organising Secretary Umar Bature attributed the remaining delay to the late submission of documents by some candidates but expressed confidence that the exercise would be concluded within the timetable.

INEC is expected to publish the personal particulars of presidential and National Assembly candidates on August 1, while governorship and state assembly candidates will be published on August 29.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.