/ Aug 21, 2026
/ Aug 21, 2026

IGP warns politicians against recruiting youths for violence

Published on

By

The Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, has warned Nigerian politicians against recruiting or arming young people to carry out political violence ahead of the 2027 general elections.

 

Disu issued the warning on Thursday in Abuja during the National Youth Leadership and Security Dialogue, organised by the Nigeria Police Force to mark the 2026 International Youth Day.

The IGP said the police would protect the integrity of the electoral process but would not tolerate violence, voter intimidation, destruction of property or the possession and use of weapons for electoral purposes.

According to TheCable, Disu appealed to political leaders not to recruit, arm or finance young Nigerians to attack their opponents.

He also urged politicians not to incite youths or encourage them to commit crimes with promises of protection afterwards.

Disu warned that political violence was no longer limited to physical confrontations, saying it could also begin online through misinformation, disinformation, hate speech, cyberbullying, impersonation, deepfakes and coordinated digital attacks.

He urged young Nigerians to verify information before sharing or acting on it, stressing the importance of responsible use of social media.

The police chief’s warning comes amid concerns over violence linked to recent political activities, including killings and clashes surrounding the Osun governorship election.

The two leading parties in Osun, Accord and the All Progressives Congress, recorded losses of members during the period. Dele Ayegbo, nephew of APC campaign director-general Wole Oke, was reportedly shot dead two days before the election.

The police, however, have maintained that several of the pre-election clashes and killings were cult-related rather than politically motivated.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

DSS warns of planned terrorist and bandit attacks on tertiary institutions in Sokoto State.

DSS alerts Sokoto over planned terrorist attacks on universities

The Department of State Services (DSS), Sokoto State Command, has warned of planned attacks by terrorists and bandit groups targeting tertiary institutions across the state.   According to TheCable, the security alert, dated August 18, was addressed to the Sokoto State Government. A DSS source also confirmed the authenticity of the alert. The service said intelligence indicated that criminal groups had shifted their focus from primary and secondary schools to universities and other tertiary institutions. The planned attacks could result in the abduction of students, lecturers, non-academic staff and their family members, the DSS warned. The agency described the development as a serious threat to the education sector, noting that tertiary institutions accommodate large numbers of students and staff. Beyond kidnapping, the DSS said a successful attack could disrupt academic activities, create widespread fear and weaken public confidence in the government’s ability to protect citizens and public institutions. The agency also warned that such attacks could damage Nigeria’s international image and worsen insecurity already affecting education in parts of the country. DSS urges urgent security measures The DSS called for an immediate upgrade of security arrangements around tertiary institutions across Sokoto State. It urged authorities to adopt proactive measures rather than wait for criminal groups to carry out attacks. The agency said relevant security and emergency response agencies had already been alerted and urged them to deploy appropriate countermeasures to protect students, staff and critical educational infrastructure. The DSS also called on the Sokoto State Government to treat the warning as an urgent matter and coordinate efforts to strengthen security around universities and other tertiary institutions.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.