/ Aug 21, 2026
/ Aug 21, 2026

Imo launches robotic-assisted surgery at Owerri hospital

Published on

By

Imo State is set to commence robotic-assisted surgery in Owerri as the government expands access to advanced specialist healthcare.

 

The first procedure is scheduled for Friday at the Imo Robotics and Oncology Centre (IROC), located within the reconstructed Imo Specialist Hospital in Umuguma, Owerri West Local Government Area.

Governor Hope Uzodimma announced the development while addressing journalists at the Government House in Owerri, describing it as a major milestone in the state’s healthcare development.

According to the governor, the robotic surgical system has been installed and the theatre prepared for clinical use. The initiative is being supported by specialist expertise and knowledge transfer to local medical professionals.

The first procedure will be led by Professor Kingsley Ekwueme, a United Kingdom-based Consultant Robotic and Laparoscopic Surgeon, alongside other medical professionals.

Uzodimma said the partnership would expose local healthcare workers to advanced surgical techniques while enabling the state to build specialist capacity.

Robotic-assisted surgery can give surgeons greater precision and control in appropriate procedures. It can also support minimally invasive surgery, which may reduce blood loss and shorten recovery time for some patients.

The governor said the development was particularly important for residents who previously had to travel to Lagos or outside Nigeria for complex specialist treatment.

He said the reconstructed Imo Specialist Hospital now includes an accident and emergency section, intensive care and neonatal intensive care facilities, dedicated theatres, medical oxygen infrastructure, diagnostic services, maternity and paediatric facilities, physiotherapy, mental health services and specialist wards.

The IROC is also being developed alongside oncology services, with the cancer facility expected to strengthen cancer diagnosis and treatment in the state.

Uzodimma disclosed that the hospital was being equipped with MRI, CT scan, mammography and X-ray services to provide an integrated specialist healthcare environment covering diagnosis, treatment, surgery and follow-up care.

The facility is also expected to have an internal medical oxygen production and distribution system, while a hybrid power solution will support its operations.

On affordability, the governor said the government was working through the Imo State Health Insurance Scheme to help residents access quality healthcare without being overwhelmed by treatment costs.

Uzodimma said the broader objective was to reduce the financial, logistical and emotional burden faced by patients who travel outside the state for specialised medical care.

He stressed that the launch of robotic-assisted surgery was only the beginning of a wider healthcare transformation, with the success of the initiative to be measured by patients treated, skills transferred, specialists developed and lives improved.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Ronaldinho holds a Ravenna FC jersey during the Italian club's team presentation in Marina di Ravenna.

Ronaldinho returns at 46, targets 300th career goal

Brazil legend Ronaldinho is set to make a sensational return to football at the age of 46 after joining Italian third-tier club Ravenna FC, 11 years after his last professional appearance.   The former Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain and AC Milan star confirmed his return on Thursday during Ravenna’s team presentation in Marina di Ravenna. Ronaldinho retired from professional football in 2015 after playing his final official match for Brazilian side Fluminense. He now hopes to help Ravenna while potentially chasing the 300th goal of his career. “I’m very happy to be here with friends, we have a team that can do something good,” Ronaldinho said, according to AFP. The 2002 World Cup winner also left open the possibility of returning to competitive action. “Will you see me play? I don’t know, only the coach knows that,” he said. “Coming back to Italy is wonderful, I’m here to help my teammates win.” Ronaldinho added that he feels fit and would be delighted to score what he considers his 300th career goal. Ravenna president Ignazio Cipriani said Ronaldinho’s involvement was not intended simply as a publicity stunt. The former Brazil international is also expected to become a shareholder in the club. However, Ronaldinho will not feature when Ravenna open their Serie C campaign against Reggiana on Monday. Cipriani said the Brazilian’s main objective was to help the club and potentially score one final goal. Ronaldinho scored 33 goals in 97 appearances for Brazil and won the Ballon d’Or in 2005. His decorated club career included spells with Paris Saint-Germain, Barcelona and AC Milan. Ravenna finished third in Group B of Italy’s third division last season and are targeting promotion to Serie B, where they have not played since 2008. The club’s move for Ronaldinho was announced in June during the World Cup in Miami. Reuters also reported that the 46-year-old had joined Ravenna as both an investor and potential player, although his exact playing role remains undecided.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.