/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

Police Arrest: 25 youths kill woman over withcraft, community pleads their release 

Published on

By

The traditional rulers’ council of the Old-Netim community, Akamkpa local government area of Cross River State, has appealed to the police to free 25 youths alleged to have been wrongly arrested in connection with the killing of a woman, Mrs. Martina Okey, branded a witch.

The youths, the community said, had been in detention for over a month following an indiscriminate arrest by the police.

A statement by the council’s chairman, Ntufam Augustin Nyong Orok, and Secretary, Ntufam Linus Pius Mbey, acknowledged that the woman was gruesomely murdered by some misguided youths, who were averde to development in the community.

Read Also:

Police kills three in IPOB camp raid – Enugu

The statement alleged that the faction who committed the crime wanted to give the community a bad image, urging the police to go after the real killers and release those they had held captive for an offence they didn’t commit.

It said: “We use this medium to appeal to the Assistant Inspector General of Police Zone 6, Calabar, and the Commissioner of Police in Cross River Command, to release the youths in their custody and go after the real perpetrators of the act who are now at large.”

According to the council, innocent families were facing hardship as a result of the incident, noting that the community, hitherto known as a business hub at Akamkpa, had become a shadow of itself.

Reacting to their request, the Commissioner of Police, CP Gyogon Grimah, asked why the traditional rulers had not come to his office since the arrest was made.

“In any case, it seems they know the actual culprits. They can go to court and testify to free the youths because they have all been charged to court,” he said.

You May Like

3 thoughts on “Police Arrest: 25 youths kill woman over withcraft, community pleads their release 

  1. You actually mentioned that superbly!
    casino en ligne fiable
    You definitely made the point!
    casino en ligne France
    Thanks. I enjoy this!
    casino en ligne fiable
    You reported this adequately!
    casino en ligne
    This is nicely expressed! .
    meilleur casino en ligne
    Cheers, Numerous posts.
    casino en ligne
    Appreciate it, Quite a lot of write ups.
    casino en ligne
    Nicely put. Cheers.
    casino en ligne
    Seriously all kinds of superb data.
    casino en ligne
    This is nicely said! .
    casino en ligne

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.