/ May 18, 2026
/ May 18, 2026

FG to employ 5million youths in five year through N-Power

Published on

By

The federal government has said that the on-going overhauling of the N-Power programme will bring about the employment of five million youth in five years.

This is contained in a statement by the National Programme Manager of N-Power, Akindele Egbuwalo.

Egbuwalo, who urged Nigerians to understand the rationale behind the suspension of the programme and the subsequent restructuring it is undergoing, said the federal government was working to restore confidence in the programme.

Egbuwalo stated: “This restructuring and transformation will also birth an expanded programme to reach beneficiaries aged 18-40 (the previous age limit was 35).

‘We are targeting 5 million beneficiaries in 5 years at a pace of 1 million per year under the graduate and non-graduate stream”

Read Also:

Nationwide Blackout: Nigeria’s power grid collapses

Giving further details on what the restructured N-Power would look like, Egbuwalo disclosed that it will accommodate some new programmes, in education, health, works, agriculture, technology, fashion, entertainment, and other relevant areas of skill acquisition and employability.

He stated: “To earn the confidence of Nigerians in the expanded programme, transparency and accountability will be the benchmark. It shall no longer be business as usual as we make concerted efforts to put the nation on the right footing, ensuring that no one directly or indirectly unleashes suffering on Nigerians.

He also explained that suspension of the Programme became imperative following the discovery of sharp practices and to also give room for a detailed investigation into its operations in the last twelve months.

Egbuwalo: “There is a need to audit the number of people in the programme, those who have exited the programme, those who are being owed, whether they reported to work or not, and how funds have been utilised over this period.

“Recently, we discovered instances of programme beneficiaries whose participation has lapsed since 2022 but have remained on and continue to expect payments from the government. In addition, some beneficiaries must honour their obligation to the programme. They do not report to their places of primary assignments as required but still receive monthly payments.

“These instances have made the need for a thorough audit imperative, as we also look into claims of those being owed for up to eight to nine months stipends to ascertain the veracity of their claims”

He assured all beneficiaries with genuine claims that the federal government will not owe anybody as it will resolve all cases and honour all valid outstanding obligations once the verification exercise is completed.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

APC party flag displayed during a political gathering amid controversy over aspirant disqualifications ahead of the 2027 elections.

One dead, several injured in Lagos APC primary clash

A supporter was shot dead during the All Progressives Congress  (APC) House of Representatives primary election in Lagos after violence broke out among rival party supporters in the Ikotun area. According to Punch Newspapers, the incident happened on Saturday at a primary school in Ile-Iwe, Egbe, where the party was conducting its primary election for aspirants seeking seats in the House of Representatives. Witnesses said the exercise had been peaceful before an argument started among supporters of different aspirants. The disagreement quickly escalated into chaos, with gunshots heard as people scrambled for safety. A resident told Punch that one man was struck by a bullet during the unrest, while several others sustained injuries. The victim was reportedly rushed away from the venue but died before reaching hospital. Another witness said the sound of gunfire triggered panic, forcing delegates and supporters to jump fences and hide in nearby homes as the situation worsened. A police source told Punch that additional security operatives were deployed to the venue after officers at the scene requested reinforcement. The Divisional Police Officer and Area Commander later restored calm, though no official arrest had been confirmed at the time of reporting. Efforts by Punch to reach Abimbola Adebisi, spokesperson for the Nigeria Police Force in Lagos State, were unsuccessful, while party officials had not issued any official statement as of press time. The shooting adds to concerns over recurring electoral violence in Nigeria, especially during party primaries and rerun elections, where clashes among political supporters often result in deaths, injuries and destruction of property.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.