/ Aug 21, 2026
/ Aug 21, 2026

BREAKING: Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury resigns

Published on

By

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby has resigned.

This comes after the independent Makin review discovered that the Church of England covered up sexual abuse by a barrister.

Following calls for his resignation, Welby said the report “exposed the long-maintained conspiracy of silence about the heinous abuses of John Smyth”.

According to Welby, he believed wrongly that an appropriate resolution would follow” when he was told in 2013 that Smyth had been reported to the police.

In a statement, Welby said: ‘Having sought the gracious permission of His Majesty The King, I have decided to resign as Archbishop of Canterbury.

“It is very clear that I must take personal and institutional responsibility for the long and retraumatizing period between 2013 and 2024”.

The independent Makin review into John Smyth QC’s abuse of children and young men was published last week.

John Smyth QC is said to have subjected his victims to traumatic physical, sexual, psychological and spiritual attacks.

The report concluded he might have been brought to justice had Mr Welby formally reported it to police a decade ago.

Smyth died aged 75 in Cape Town in 2018 while under investigation by Hampshire Police, and so was “never brought to justice for the abuse”, the review said.

Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury resigns
Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury resigns

You May Like

4 thoughts on “BREAKING: Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury resigns

  1. В мире игр, где каждый сайт норовит зацепить обещаниями легких призов, обзор и рейтинг казино
    является именно той путеводителем, которая направляет сквозь заросли рисков. Тем ветеранов да дебютантов, кто устал из-за пустых обещаний, это инструмент, дабы увидеть реальную отдачу, словно ощущение золотой монеты у пальцах. Минус лишней болтовни, только реальные клубы, где выигрыш не лишь цифра, но конкретная фортуна.Составлено по гугловых трендов, как ловушка, которая захватывает наиболее свежие тенденции на рунете. Тут отсутствует места к шаблонных фишек, всякий момент как ставка у игре, где блеф раскрывается мгновенно. Игроки знают: в стране стиль разговора с подтекстом, в котором ирония скрывается словно рекомендацию, помогает миновать рисков.На https://disqus.com/by/dianatzaregorodceva/ данный рейтинг ждёт как открытая карта, готовый для старту. Загляни, когда нужно почувствовать ритм реальной азарта, обходя мифов и неудач. Для кто любит ощущение выигрыша, это будто взять ставку в ладонях, минуя глядеть в дисплей.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.