/ Aug 17, 2026
/ Aug 17, 2026

INEC publishes final list for Anambra governorship, says campaign starts June 11

Published on

By

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), on Wednesday published final list of 16 candidates for Nov. 8 Anambra governorship election.

The commission stated that electioneering campaigns would begin on June 11.

Mr Sam Olumekun, INEC National Commissioner and chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, disclosed this in a statement issued in Abuja.

Olumekun said that with the publication, no further withdrawal or replacement of candidates would be allowed, except in the event of death before the election date as provided by Section 34(1) of the Electoral Act.

He stated that 16 political parties uploaded the particulars of their candidates (Form EC9), by the deadline of 6 p.m. on Monday May 12, of which their personal particulars were recently published.

He noted that in line with the provision of Section 33 of the Electoral Act 2022, political parties were empowered to replace their candidates who voluntarily withdrew from the race.

“Accordingly, the African Democratic Congress (ADC), conducted a fresh primary election to replace its candidate while four political parties replaced their deputy governorship candidates.

“They are Accord (A), African Action Congress (AAC), Labour Party (LP) and the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP).

“The deadline for the withdrawal and substitution of candidates was Monday June 2.

“Consequently, the commission hereby publishes the final list of candidates that will contest in the Nov. 8 2025 Anambra governorship election.

“Sixteen out of the 19 registered parties are participating in the election out of which the African Action Congress (AAC) and the National Rescue Movement (NRM) have nominated female candidates, while six parties are fielding female running mates.

“They are Accord (A), All Progressives Congress (APC), Action Peoples Party (APP), Boot Party (BP), Labour Party (LP) and Zenith Labour Party (ZLP).

“No party has nominated a person with disability as a candidate. In terms of age, the candidates’ ranged between 36 and 71 years,” he said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that some of the candidates according to the publication include Charles Soludo of APGA, Eze Nwafo Jude of PDP, Nwosu John of ADC, Ukachukwu Nicholas of APC and George Mogbalu of LP.

Olumekun said that the full list of the candidates by party, age, gender and academic qualifications had been uploaded on the commission’s website and social media platforms for public information.

He also disclosed that the in line with Section 94(1) of the Electoral Act 2022, political parties were at liberty to start their electioneering campaigns in public from Wednesday June 11 and end at midnight on Thursday Nov. 6.

Olumekun, however, warned political parties, candidates and their supporters against unlawful use of abusive language, physical attacks on opponents during rallies, processions and meetings or destruction of campaign materials.

These acts according to him are against Sections 92 and 93 of the Electoral Act 2022.

“Similarly, all parties and candidates must be given unimpeded access to public facilities for media campaign, outdoor advertising as well as public rallies and meetings.

“For the avoidance of doubt, Section 95(2) of the Electoral Act 2022 prohibits the use of incumbency to the advantage or disadvantage of any party or candidate,” he said.

You May Like

2 thoughts on “INEC publishes final list for Anambra governorship, says campaign starts June 11

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NDLEA officials destroy over 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs worth ₦301 billion at Navy Town in Ojo, Lagos.

NDLEA destroys ₦301bn worth of cocaine, heroin and other drugs in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has destroyed more than 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs valued at ₦301 billion in Lagos.   The drugs were incinerated on Monday, August 17, at Navy Town in the Ojo area of the state in a court-ordered exercise covering uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. According to Channels Television, the destroyed substances included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, ephedrine, khat leaves and opioids such as tramadol and codeine syrup. Several varieties of cannabis, including Canadian Loud and skunk, were also destroyed. Seizures made across Lagos The NDLEA said the drugs were intercepted during operations carried out between April 2025 and May 2026. The agency’s Lagos Strategic Command accounted for 246,864.535kg, while specialised units operating across the state intercepted an additional 83,001.05kg. Those units included the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit. Speaking at the incineration site, NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), said the destruction demonstrated the agency’s determination to disrupt drug trafficking networks. He warned drug barons and financiers that law enforcement agencies would continue to pursue them regardless of where they operated. Marwa also said drug interceptions help protect communities from addiction and impaired driving while reducing potential healthcare costs and disrupting criminal networks. Drugs linked to violent crime Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, described the destruction as a reminder of the scale of the threat posed by illicit drugs. The Comptroller General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, linked the illicit drug trade to the activities of violent non-state actors. He said the destruction deprived drug dealers of investments worth billions of naira and denied violent groups resources that could support their activities. The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by the Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, also pledged continued military support for the NDLEA’s anti-drug operations.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.