/ May 20, 2026
/ May 20, 2026

Arsenal Complete Champions League Clean Sweep For Top Spot

Published on

By

Arsenal became the first side to win all eight matches in the Champions League league phase as the Gunners secured top spot with a 3-2 win over Kazakhstan’s Kairat Almaty on Wednesday.

Mikel Arteta’s men were already assured of a place in the last 16 and have also guaranteed they will have home advantage in the second leg of the knockout stages as long as they progress.

Tournament debutants Kairat finished bottom of the 36-team table with just one point from their eight matches and were never going to be a match for the Premier League leaders.

Arteta could afford the luxury of making 11 changes from the side that lost at the Emirates for the first time this season to Manchester United on Sunday and the goalscoring return of Kai Havertz could be critical to their chances of silverware in four competitions in the coming months.

The German made his first start for nearly a year after an injury-ravaged 12 months.

Havertz showed his class after just two minutes with a defence-splitting pass for Viktor Gyokeres to blast in his 10th goal of the season.

Jorginho gave the visitors a moment to savour when he equalised from the penalty spot.

Havertz quickly restored Arsenal’s advantage by firing in his first goal of the season from the edge of the area.

The man who scored the winner for Chelsea in the 2021 Champions League final was also involved for Arsenal’s third as Havertz’s cross was convered by Gabriel Martinelli.

Ricardinho pulled a goal back deep into stoppage time as Kairat ended their chastening first experience of Champions League football on a high.

You May Like

2 thoughts on “Arsenal Complete Champions League Clean Sweep For Top Spot

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.