/ May 18, 2026
/ May 18, 2026

Gong

  • All
  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Aviation
  • Banking
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • fashion
  • Health
  • Home
  • International
  • lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Nigeria
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sport
  • sports
  • Tech
  • Technology
  • World News
Bayelsa: Tribunal sacks PDP Rep Agbedi, orders rerun

September 8, 2023

The Election Petitions Tribunal in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State capital, has ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to conduct fresh elections in some polling units in the Sagbama/Ekeremor Federal Constituency....

BREAKING: Atiku rejects tribunal’s judgement

September 7, 2023

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar on Thursday rejected the Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal judgement that affirmed the victory of President Bola Tinubu in the February 25, 2023, presidential election. He...

Trending

Floodwater covering the collapsed Moro Bridge in Kwara State with stranded vehicles and commuters waiting for rescue.

Flooding submerges collapsed Kwara bridge, leaves commuters stranded

Severe flooding has submerged the already-collapsed Moro Bridge in Kwara State, stranding commuters and disrupting traffic along the Ilorin–Igbeti Federal Highway after overnight rainfall caused the Moro River to overflow. According to PUNCH Newspaper, several vehicles were trapped in rising floodwaters on Monday, with some passengers seen climbing onto car roofs while awaiting rescue. The route is a major interstate corridor linking Kwara to Oyo State and onward toward the Benin border. The bridge had already collapsed on April 30 after an articulated truck reportedly crossed the ageing structure. The latest flooding has worsened access, as the temporary diversion promised by the state government has not yet been completed. Residents around the affected axis said economic activity has been hit hard, with transport costs rising and travel times increasing. A local trader, Kafayat, said the disruption had affected both businesses and commuters relying on the route. The state’s Commissioner for Works, Abdulquawiy Olododo, had earlier said engineers were deployed to begin palliative work and that construction was continuing on a new bridge close to the failed structure. However, Monday’s flooding has raised fresh concerns over the pace of intervention. The bridge, a colonial-era Bailey structure, has served as a key crossing between parts of Kwara and Oyo for decades, but has repeatedly undergone repairs due to structural defects. With the peak rainy season approaching, residents fear the situation could deteriorate further if urgent work is not completed.
Ben Murray-Bruce among APC senatorial aspirants disqualified from 2027 primary elections in Nigeria

APC disqualifies Ben Murray-Bruce, 46 others from Senate primaries

The All Progressives Congress has released a list of 47 aspirants barred from contesting its senatorial primaries ahead of Nigeria’s 2027 general election, with Ben Murray-Bruce among the most prominent names. According to PUNCH, the party announced the disqualifications on Monday in a statement signed by Felix Morka, saying the screening was carried out under its established procedures and guidelines. The party did not state why the affected aspirants were screened out. The exclusion of Murray-Bruce, who previously represented Bayelsa State East in the Senate, drew attention alongside fellow Bayelsa aspirant Benson Agadaga, who also failed clearance. Rivers State recorded the highest number of disqualified hopefuls in a single district, with four from Rivers West: Oyukaye Flag Amachree, Tamunobaabo Danagogo, Tein Jack-Rich and Ipalibo Banigo. Zamfara State also featured heavily, with seven aspirants from its Central, North and West senatorial districts not cleared by the party’s screening panel. Other states affected include Oyo State, Niger State, Plateau State, Adamawa State, Kwara State and the Federal Capital Territory, reflecting widespread exclusions across multiple regions. The APC’s screening comes as political parties begin internal contests to select candidates for the 2027 polls, with the Senate races already generating intense competition in several states.
Michael Oyedokun, abducted Oyo teacher killed by bandits after school attack in Oriire

Oyo school abduction worsens as kidnapped teacher is beheaded

A teacher abducted during the attack on a secondary school in Oyo State has been killed, with authorities confirming he was beheaded by suspected bandits while still in captivity. According to Punch Newspapers, the victim, Michael Oyedokun, was among those kidnapped during the raid on Community High School in Ahoro-Esinle, Oriire Local Government Area on Friday, May 15. A video allegedly released by the abductors surfaced on Sunday and was seen by Punch on Monday. It showed Oyedokun tied up and forced to speak before being killed, sparking fresh fears over the safety of the other hostages still being held. The killing has deepened grief across the local community, where residents and families have intensified calls for urgent intervention from security agencies and the state government. Governor Seyi Makinde, through his Special Adviser on Media, Suleimon Olanrewaju, confirmed the teacher’s death on Monday and said the government would continue efforts to secure the release of the remaining captives. Olanrewaju said the state was pursuing both military and non-military strategies to resolve the crisis. He added that six suspects linked to the abduction had been arrested, while three more persons of interest were picked up by another security agency. He also disclosed that members of a joint rescue team, including soldiers, the Amotekun Corps and local vigilantes, were killed after their convoy reportedly struck improvised explosive devices planted by the abductors. The government said injured operatives are receiving treatment and pledged to cover all medical expenses. Punch reported that seven teachers were kidnapped in the attack, alongside the school principal and several students, in an incident that has renewed concern over worsening insecurity in parts of Oyo and other areas of Nigeria.
APC party flag displayed during a political gathering amid controversy over aspirant disqualifications ahead of the 2027 elections.

One dead, several injured in Lagos APC primary clash

A supporter was shot dead during the All Progressives Congress  (APC) House of Representatives primary election in Lagos after violence broke out among rival party supporters in the Ikotun area. According to Punch Newspapers, the incident happened on Saturday at a primary school in Ile-Iwe, Egbe, where the party was conducting its primary election for aspirants seeking seats in the House of Representatives. Witnesses said the exercise had been peaceful before an argument started among supporters of different aspirants. The disagreement quickly escalated into chaos, with gunshots heard as people scrambled for safety. A resident told Punch that one man was struck by a bullet during the unrest, while several others sustained injuries. The victim was reportedly rushed away from the venue but died before reaching hospital. Another witness said the sound of gunfire triggered panic, forcing delegates and supporters to jump fences and hide in nearby homes as the situation worsened. A police source told Punch that additional security operatives were deployed to the venue after officers at the scene requested reinforcement. The Divisional Police Officer and Area Commander later restored calm, though no official arrest had been confirmed at the time of reporting. Efforts by Punch to reach Abimbola Adebisi, spokesperson for the Nigeria Police Force in Lagos State, were unsuccessful, while party officials had not issued any official statement as of press time. The shooting adds to concerns over recurring electoral violence in Nigeria, especially during party primaries and rerun elections, where clashes among political supporters often result in deaths, injuries and destruction of property.

Must Read

Floodwater covering the collapsed Moro Bridge in Kwara State with stranded vehicles and commuters waiting for rescue.

Flooding submerges collapsed Kwara bridge, leaves commuters stranded

Severe flooding has submerged the already-collapsed Moro Bridge in Kwara State, stranding commuters and disrupting traffic along the Ilorin–Igbeti Federal Highway after overnight rainfall caused the Moro River to overflow. According to PUNCH Newspaper, several vehicles were trapped in rising floodwaters on Monday, with some passengers seen climbing onto car roofs while awaiting rescue. The route is a major interstate corridor linking Kwara to Oyo State and onward toward the Benin border. The bridge had already collapsed on April 30 after an articulated truck reportedly crossed the ageing structure. The latest flooding has worsened access, as the temporary diversion promised by the state government has not yet been completed. Residents around the affected axis said economic activity has been hit hard, with transport costs rising and travel times increasing. A local trader, Kafayat, said the disruption had affected both businesses and commuters relying on the route. The state’s Commissioner for Works, Abdulquawiy Olododo, had earlier said engineers were deployed to begin palliative work and that construction was continuing on a new bridge close to the failed structure. However, Monday’s flooding has raised fresh concerns over the pace of intervention. The bridge, a colonial-era Bailey structure, has served as a key crossing between parts of Kwara and Oyo for decades, but has repeatedly undergone repairs due to structural defects. With the peak rainy season approaching, residents fear the situation could deteriorate further if urgent work is not completed.
Read more
Floodwater covering the collapsed Moro Bridge in Kwara State with stranded vehicles and commuters waiting for rescue.

Flooding submerges collapsed Kwara bridge, leaves commuters stranded

Severe flooding has submerged the already-collapsed Moro Bridge in Kwara State, stranding commuters and disrupting traffic along the Ilorin–Igbeti Federal Highway after overnight rainfall caused the Moro River to overflow. According to PUNCH Newspaper, several vehicles were trapped in rising floodwaters on Monday, with some passengers seen climbing onto car roofs while awaiting rescue. The route is a major interstate corridor linking Kwara to Oyo State and onward toward the Benin border. The bridge had already collapsed on April 30 after an articulated truck reportedly crossed the ageing structure. The latest flooding has worsened access, as the temporary diversion promised by the state government has not yet been completed. Residents around the affected axis said economic activity has been hit hard, with transport costs rising and travel times increasing. A local trader, Kafayat, said the disruption had affected both businesses and commuters relying on the route. The state’s Commissioner for Works, Abdulquawiy Olododo, had earlier said engineers were deployed to begin palliative work and that construction was continuing on a new bridge close to the failed structure. However, Monday’s flooding has raised fresh concerns over the pace of intervention. The bridge, a colonial-era Bailey structure, has served as a key crossing between parts of Kwara and Oyo for decades, but has repeatedly undergone repairs due to structural defects. With the peak rainy season approaching, residents fear the situation could deteriorate further if urgent work is not completed.
Ben Murray-Bruce among APC senatorial aspirants disqualified from 2027 primary elections in Nigeria

APC disqualifies Ben Murray-Bruce, 46 others from Senate primaries

The All Progressives Congress has released a list of 47 aspirants barred from contesting its senatorial primaries ahead of Nigeria’s 2027 general election, with Ben Murray-Bruce among the most prominent names. According to PUNCH, the party announced the disqualifications on Monday in a statement signed by Felix Morka, saying the screening was carried out under its established procedures and guidelines. The party did not state why the affected aspirants were screened out. The exclusion of Murray-Bruce, who previously represented Bayelsa State East in the Senate, drew attention alongside fellow Bayelsa aspirant Benson Agadaga, who also failed clearance. Rivers State recorded the highest number of disqualified hopefuls in a single district, with four from Rivers West: Oyukaye Flag Amachree, Tamunobaabo Danagogo, Tein Jack-Rich and Ipalibo Banigo. Zamfara State also featured heavily, with seven aspirants from its Central, North and West senatorial districts not cleared by the party’s screening panel. Other states affected include Oyo State, Niger State, Plateau State, Adamawa State, Kwara State and the Federal Capital Territory, reflecting widespread exclusions across multiple regions. The APC’s screening comes as political parties begin internal contests to select candidates for the 2027 polls, with the Senate races already generating intense competition in several states.

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.