/ Aug 21, 2026
/ Aug 21, 2026

Nigeria

  • All
  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Aviation
  • Banking
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • fashion
  • Health
  • Home
  • International
  • Judiciary
  • lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Nigeria
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sport
  • sports
  • Tech
  • Technology
  • World News

Trending

Adeleke Tinubu 2027 support, Ademola Adeleke, Bola Tinubu, Osun election, 2027 presidential election, Osun politics

Tinubu to Adeleke: You won Osun, you didn’t conquer anyone

President Bola Tinubu has urged Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke to use his victory in the August 15 governorship election to promote unity, peace and stability rather than humiliate his opponents.   Tinubu gave the advice on Thursday when Adeleke visited him at the Presidential Villa in Abuja following his re-election. According to Channels Television, the President reminded Adeleke that he had not conquered anyone but had simply won an election, stressing that democracy requires respect for all sides. “Don’t stigmatise any of your opponents,” Tinubu told the governor, urging him not to turn individuals into victims of his campaign. The President said the people of Osun had expressed their preference by voting for Adeleke to continue governing the state. He encouraged the governor to respond to the mandate by building a broader network of unity. Tinubu also said politicians should celebrate the outcome of free and fair elections, describing such acceptance as essential to enjoying the benefits of democracy. “You did not conquer anybody. You won an election. That is the essence of democracy,” he said. The President further urged Adeleke to “promote unity, peace and stability” and use his second term to make history in Osun. ‘Progressive instinct’ Tinubu also praised Adeleke’s campaign, saying the governor demonstrated what he described as a “progressive instinct” and effective mobilisation with his team. He encouraged Adeleke to promote democracy, stability and the rule of law as he begins another term in office. Adeleke was re-elected in the August 15 Osun governorship election, securing a second term in office.
more than 500 people are feared dead after two suspected shipwrecks involving Rohingya refugees off the country's coast.

Over 46 bodies recovered, more missing in Sokoto boat accident

At least 46 people have died after a boat carrying 77 passengers capsized in Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.   The incident occurred on Thursday, with the Sokoto State Police Command confirming that 15 passengers were rescued alive, while rescue teams continued searching for the remaining 16 people. Police spokesperson DSP Ahmed Rufai said local divers, the National Emergency Management Agency, the State Emergency Management Agency and the police were involved in the ongoing operation. “46 corpses have so far been recovered, while 15 persons were rescued alive,” Rufai said. The boat had 77 passengers, including men, women and children. The cause of the accident was not immediately known. The tragedy has plunged Gorau into mourning as families await information about relatives who remain missing. The accident also occurred exactly one year after a similar boat accident in Kijio community, also in Goronyo LGA. The African Democratic Congress governorship candidate in Sokoto State, Manir Muhammad Dan’iya, expressed condolences to the victims’ families and urged authorities to deploy more rescue personnel, medical teams and equipment. Dan’iya said some of those on board were reportedly children aged between 10 and 15 who were travelling with farmers and labourers. He also called for safer boats, life jackets, trained boat operators, improved emergency response equipment and alternative crossings for farming communities that depend on waterways. The search and rescue operation was still ongoing at the time of the report.
NFF President Ibrahim Gusau pictured as EFCC and ICPC investigate the N12bn Federal Government intervention fund.

EFCC, ICPC probe N12bn NFF fund, summon officials

Nigeria’s anti-corruption agencies have launched investigations into the utilisation of the N12bn Federal Government intervention fund released to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for players’ wages, allowances and bonuses.   The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission have invited some officials connected to the fund for questioning, according to a source familiar with the investigation. The source told The PUNCH that the officials had provided statements and were currently on administrative bail, while investigations remained ongoing. The probe followed a request under the Freedom of Information Act seeking financial records and utilisation documents relating to the N12bn intervention fund. In a letter dated August 18, 2026, the NFF declined to release the requested documents, citing the ongoing investigations by the EFCC and ICPC. The federation said all relevant documents were already before the two agencies. The N12bn was approved by President Bola Tinubu in January 2024 to clear outstanding financial obligations to Nigeria’s national teams. The payment was reported to cover up to 15 months of coaches’ salaries, as well as allowances and other outstanding payments to the senior men’s and women’s teams and the U-20 side. The investigation comes amid continued complaints over unpaid allowances and bonuses involving Nigeria’s national teams. In November 2025, the Super Eagles reportedly boycotted a training session in Morocco ahead of their 2026 World Cup play-off against Gabon over outstanding allowances dating back to 2019. In April 2026 that members of Nigeria’s 2023 and 2025 Flying Eagles teams claimed the NFF owed them about N1.5bn in qualification bonuses and camp allowances. The latest investigation also comes as the NFF faces renewed scrutiny following Nigeria’s failure to qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup and the Super Falcons’ failure to qualify for the 2027 Women’s World Cup. NFF President Ibrahim Gusau is seeking another term at the federation’s planned September 27 elective congress. The federation has also faced claims that the National Sports Commission could seek to halt the election and install a normalisation committee, although the NFF board has denied the allegation. The EFCC and ICPC had not publicly commented on the investigation as of the time of The PUNCH report.
NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.

Must Read

Adeleke Tinubu 2027 support, Ademola Adeleke, Bola Tinubu, Osun election, 2027 presidential election, Osun politics

Tinubu to Adeleke: You won Osun, you didn’t conquer anyone

President Bola Tinubu has urged Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke to use his victory in the August 15 governorship election to promote unity, peace and stability rather than humiliate his opponents.   Tinubu gave the advice on Thursday when Adeleke visited him at the Presidential Villa in Abuja following his re-election. According to Channels Television, the President reminded Adeleke that he had not conquered anyone but had simply won an election, stressing that democracy requires respect for all sides. “Don’t stigmatise any of your opponents,” Tinubu told the governor, urging him not to turn individuals into victims of his campaign. The President said the people of Osun had expressed their preference by voting for Adeleke to continue governing the state. He encouraged the governor to respond to the mandate by building a broader network of unity. Tinubu also said politicians should celebrate the outcome of free and fair elections, describing such acceptance as essential to enjoying the benefits of democracy. “You did not conquer anybody. You won an election. That is the essence of democracy,” he said. The President further urged Adeleke to “promote unity, peace and stability” and use his second term to make history in Osun. ‘Progressive instinct’ Tinubu also praised Adeleke’s campaign, saying the governor demonstrated what he described as a “progressive instinct” and effective mobilisation with his team. He encouraged Adeleke to promote democracy, stability and the rule of law as he begins another term in office. Adeleke was re-elected in the August 15 Osun governorship election, securing a second term in office.
Read more
Adeleke Tinubu 2027 support, Ademola Adeleke, Bola Tinubu, Osun election, 2027 presidential election, Osun politics

Tinubu to Adeleke: You won Osun, you didn’t conquer anyone

President Bola Tinubu has urged Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke to use his victory in the August 15 governorship election to promote unity, peace and stability rather than humiliate his opponents.   Tinubu gave the advice on Thursday when Adeleke visited him at the Presidential Villa in Abuja following his re-election. According to Channels Television, the President reminded Adeleke that he had not conquered anyone but had simply won an election, stressing that democracy requires respect for all sides. “Don’t stigmatise any of your opponents,” Tinubu told the governor, urging him not to turn individuals into victims of his campaign. The President said the people of Osun had expressed their preference by voting for Adeleke to continue governing the state. He encouraged the governor to respond to the mandate by building a broader network of unity. Tinubu also said politicians should celebrate the outcome of free and fair elections, describing such acceptance as essential to enjoying the benefits of democracy. “You did not conquer anybody. You won an election. That is the essence of democracy,” he said. The President further urged Adeleke to “promote unity, peace and stability” and use his second term to make history in Osun. ‘Progressive instinct’ Tinubu also praised Adeleke’s campaign, saying the governor demonstrated what he described as a “progressive instinct” and effective mobilisation with his team. He encouraged Adeleke to promote democracy, stability and the rule of law as he begins another term in office. Adeleke was re-elected in the August 15 Osun governorship election, securing a second term in office.
more than 500 people are feared dead after two suspected shipwrecks involving Rohingya refugees off the country's coast.

Over 46 bodies recovered, more missing in Sokoto boat accident

At least 46 people have died after a boat carrying 77 passengers capsized in Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.   The incident occurred on Thursday, with the Sokoto State Police Command confirming that 15 passengers were rescued alive, while rescue teams continued searching for the remaining 16 people. Police spokesperson DSP Ahmed Rufai said local divers, the National Emergency Management Agency, the State Emergency Management Agency and the police were involved in the ongoing operation. “46 corpses have so far been recovered, while 15 persons were rescued alive,” Rufai said. The boat had 77 passengers, including men, women and children. The cause of the accident was not immediately known. The tragedy has plunged Gorau into mourning as families await information about relatives who remain missing. The accident also occurred exactly one year after a similar boat accident in Kijio community, also in Goronyo LGA. The African Democratic Congress governorship candidate in Sokoto State, Manir Muhammad Dan’iya, expressed condolences to the victims’ families and urged authorities to deploy more rescue personnel, medical teams and equipment. Dan’iya said some of those on board were reportedly children aged between 10 and 15 who were travelling with farmers and labourers. He also called for safer boats, life jackets, trained boat operators, improved emergency response equipment and alternative crossings for farming communities that depend on waterways. The search and rescue operation was still ongoing at the time of the report.

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.