/ Aug 17, 2026
/ Aug 17, 2026

Politics

  • All
  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Aviation
  • Banking
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • fashion
  • Health
  • Home
  • International
  • Judiciary
  • lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Nigeria
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sport
  • sports
  • Tech
  • Technology
  • World News
Akpabio clocks 61, APC celebrates patriot

December 9, 2023

The All Progressives Congress (APC), on Saturday, celebrated the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, as he turned 61. The ruling party described Akpabio as a “true patriot, nation builder and lawmaker...

Trending

Ebola response volunteers in protective equipment prepare to recover a suspected Ebola victim in Bunia, DR Congo.

Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in history

The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has become the deadliest in the country’s history, with 2,325 people confirmed dead as of August 16, 2026.   Government figures show that 4,945 confirmed cases have now been recorded, surpassing the previous national record of 2,299 deaths during the 2018-2020 outbreak. The latest figures come as the United Nations warns that the outbreak is spreading at an unprecedented pace. UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher described it as the “fastest-growing on record” and said the virus is now killing about one person every 30 minutes. Outbreak spreads across six provinces The outbreak was first declared on May 15 after emerging in Ituri Province in northeastern DRC. It has since spread to six provinces, raising concerns about further transmission across the region. The current outbreak is the DRC’s 17th Ebola outbreak and is being driven by the Bundibugyo strain. Unlike the Zaire strain responsible for several previous major outbreaks, there are currently no approved vaccines or treatments specifically available for the Bundibugyo strain. Experimental vaccines and treatments are being evaluated. Health authorities are facing major challenges, including delayed diagnosis, weak healthcare infrastructure, insecurity and difficulties tracking people who have come into contact with infected patients. The case fatality ratio has risen sharply, reaching about 46 per cent, according to the latest government figures. Health experts say the increase reflects delays in detecting and treating patients rather than evidence that the virus itself has become more lethal. Second-deadliest Ebola outbreak globally Although the DRC outbreak is now the deadliest in the country’s history, it remains below the scale of the 2014-2016 West African Ebola epidemic. That outbreak killed more than 11,300 people across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone and remains the deadliest Ebola outbreak ever recorded. The current DRC epidemic, however, has reached the 2,000-death mark far more rapidly. It took nearly five months for the West African outbreak to reach 1,000 deaths, while the DRC outbreak crossed 2,000 deaths in less than three months. The World Health Organization has said it hopes to reverse the spread of Ebola in the DRC within three months, but the rapid expansion of the outbreak continues to put pressure on health workers and response teams.
Cameroon players celebrate after beating Malawi 3-0 in the 2026 WAFCON final in Rabat.

Cameroon make history, beat Malawi 3-0 to win WAFCON

Cameroon have won the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations after defeating Malawi 3-0 in the final in Rabat on Sunday, August 16.   Marie Ngah scored twice, while Naomi Eto added another as the Indomitable Lionesses claimed their first WAFCON title after finishing runners-up three times previously. Cameroon entered the tournament in dramatic circumstances. They had failed to qualify after losing home and away to Algeria in the final qualifying round, but were given a second chance when the competition was expanded from 12 to 16 teams. Cameroon were among the four highest-ranked losing sides added to the tournament. Their historic triumph came against a Malawi side that had produced one of the competition’s biggest fairytales. The Scorchers, ranked 153rd in the world, became the lowest-ranked team at the tournament to reach the final. They defeated defending champions Nigeria, Egypt, Ghana and Algeria on their way to the title decider, with sisters Tabitha and Temwa Chawinga scoring nine goals between them. Malawi started the final brightly, with the Chawinga sisters causing problems with their pace and power. Cameroon, however, gradually took control. Ngah opened the scoring in the 20th minute after a cross was headed onto the crossbar by Malawi goalkeeper Mercy Sikelo. Ngah reacted quickest to nod the rebound into the net. Eto doubled Cameroon’s advantage nine minutes later, turning sharply with her back to goal before firing into the corner. Ngah then struck again three minutes into first-half stoppage time, heading home an Eto cross to give Cameroon a commanding 3-0 lead at the break. Ngah had an opportunity to complete her hat-trick early in the second half after rounding Sikelo, but she fired wide. Malawi improved after the interval and managed to contain Cameroon for long periods. Temwa Chawinga also went close with a low effort following a goalmouth scramble, but the Scorchers could not find a way back into the match. The victory completed a remarkable turnaround for Cameroon, who had previously lost the 2004, 2014 and 2016 WAFCON finals to Nigeria. The result also secured Cameroon a place at the 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil alongside Malawi, Algeria and Morocco, who all reached the semi-finals. South Africa and Ghana, who lost in the quarter-finals, have secured places in the intercontinental play-offs, meaning Africa could have as many as six teams at the World Cup.
Hayden Panettiere at the 2022 premiere of Blonde in Hollywood.

US actress Hayden Panettiere dies at 36, ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville’ star

US actress Hayden Panettiere, best known for her roles in Heroes and Nashville, has died at the age of 36, according to media reports.   Panettiere’s father confirmed her death in a statement to ABC News, describing the actress as an “incredible light” who brought love and joy to her family and millions of fans. He requested privacy for the family as they process the loss. The cause of death has not been disclosed. According to TMZ, an investigation into the circumstances surrounding her death is ongoing. Child star who became a Hollywood favourite Born in 1989, Panettiere began acting as a child and built a career spanning television and film. She gained widespread recognition as Claire Bennet in the hit television series Heroes. She later starred as Juliette Barnes in the musical drama Nashville. Her film credits included Remember the Titans, Ice Princess, Scream 4 and Scream VI. Panettiere also released a memoir, This Is Me: A Reckoning, in May, in which she discussed the pressures of growing up in the entertainment industry, as well as her experiences with addiction and recovery. She had previously spoken publicly about difficulties in her relationship with her mother, who managed her career during her childhood. The actress’ death comes at the age of 36, with further details about the circumstances yet to be released.
Adeleke Tinubu 2027 support, Ademola Adeleke, Bola Tinubu, Osun election, 2027 presidential election, Osun politics

Adeleke denies deal with Tinubu, backs 2027 re-election

Re-elected Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has denied reaching any political agreement with President Bola Tinubu in exchange for his support for the President’s 2027 re-election bid.   Speaking on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics, Adeleke said his backing was based on Tinubu being a Yoruba man from the South-West and his desire to see the President continue development projects in the region. “No, I never reached agreement with Mr President,” Adeleke said. He explained that he wanted Tinubu to continue work on federal roads and other development projects connecting the South-West with other parts of the country. Adeleke said: “Since a Yoruba man has won the first term, maybe we should give him another chance to develop his reforms.” When asked whether he would support Tinubu “all out” in the 2027 presidential election, Adeleke replied: “Big time, I will.” The governor also said he was prepared to work with members of the All Progressives Congress (APC), including his defeated Osun governorship opponent Bola Oyebamiji and former governor Gboyega Oyetola, if required to support Tinubu. His comments followed Aviation and Aerospace Development Minister Festus Keyamo’s public acknowledgement of Adeleke’s endorsement. Keyamo had described the governor as “a man of integrity and honour” and added, “Agreement is agreement.” Despite their political differences and membership of rival parties, Tinubu and Adeleke have maintained a cordial relationship, with both leaders making high-profile engagements in recent times. Adeleke won the August 2026 Osun governorship election with 511,067 votes, defeating Oyebamiji of the APC, who polled 444,815 votes. ADC candidate Najeem Salaam finished third with 17,180 votes. The governor won 19 of Osun’s 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji secured 11.

Must Read

Ebola response volunteers in protective equipment prepare to recover a suspected Ebola victim in Bunia, DR Congo.

Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in history

The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has become the deadliest in the country’s history, with 2,325 people confirmed dead as of August 16, 2026.   Government figures show that 4,945 confirmed cases have now been recorded, surpassing the previous national record of 2,299 deaths during the 2018-2020 outbreak. The latest figures come as the United Nations warns that the outbreak is spreading at an unprecedented pace. UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher described it as the “fastest-growing on record” and said the virus is now killing about one person every 30 minutes. Outbreak spreads across six provinces The outbreak was first declared on May 15 after emerging in Ituri Province in northeastern DRC. It has since spread to six provinces, raising concerns about further transmission across the region. The current outbreak is the DRC’s 17th Ebola outbreak and is being driven by the Bundibugyo strain. Unlike the Zaire strain responsible for several previous major outbreaks, there are currently no approved vaccines or treatments specifically available for the Bundibugyo strain. Experimental vaccines and treatments are being evaluated. Health authorities are facing major challenges, including delayed diagnosis, weak healthcare infrastructure, insecurity and difficulties tracking people who have come into contact with infected patients. The case fatality ratio has risen sharply, reaching about 46 per cent, according to the latest government figures. Health experts say the increase reflects delays in detecting and treating patients rather than evidence that the virus itself has become more lethal. Second-deadliest Ebola outbreak globally Although the DRC outbreak is now the deadliest in the country’s history, it remains below the scale of the 2014-2016 West African Ebola epidemic. That outbreak killed more than 11,300 people across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone and remains the deadliest Ebola outbreak ever recorded. The current DRC epidemic, however, has reached the 2,000-death mark far more rapidly. It took nearly five months for the West African outbreak to reach 1,000 deaths, while the DRC outbreak crossed 2,000 deaths in less than three months. The World Health Organization has said it hopes to reverse the spread of Ebola in the DRC within three months, but the rapid expansion of the outbreak continues to put pressure on health workers and response teams.
Read more
Ebola response volunteers in protective equipment prepare to recover a suspected Ebola victim in Bunia, DR Congo.

Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in history

The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has become the deadliest in the country’s history, with 2,325 people confirmed dead as of August 16, 2026.   Government figures show that 4,945 confirmed cases have now been recorded, surpassing the previous national record of 2,299 deaths during the 2018-2020 outbreak. The latest figures come as the United Nations warns that the outbreak is spreading at an unprecedented pace. UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher described it as the “fastest-growing on record” and said the virus is now killing about one person every 30 minutes. Outbreak spreads across six provinces The outbreak was first declared on May 15 after emerging in Ituri Province in northeastern DRC. It has since spread to six provinces, raising concerns about further transmission across the region. The current outbreak is the DRC’s 17th Ebola outbreak and is being driven by the Bundibugyo strain. Unlike the Zaire strain responsible for several previous major outbreaks, there are currently no approved vaccines or treatments specifically available for the Bundibugyo strain. Experimental vaccines and treatments are being evaluated. Health authorities are facing major challenges, including delayed diagnosis, weak healthcare infrastructure, insecurity and difficulties tracking people who have come into contact with infected patients. The case fatality ratio has risen sharply, reaching about 46 per cent, according to the latest government figures. Health experts say the increase reflects delays in detecting and treating patients rather than evidence that the virus itself has become more lethal. Second-deadliest Ebola outbreak globally Although the DRC outbreak is now the deadliest in the country’s history, it remains below the scale of the 2014-2016 West African Ebola epidemic. That outbreak killed more than 11,300 people across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone and remains the deadliest Ebola outbreak ever recorded. The current DRC epidemic, however, has reached the 2,000-death mark far more rapidly. It took nearly five months for the West African outbreak to reach 1,000 deaths, while the DRC outbreak crossed 2,000 deaths in less than three months. The World Health Organization has said it hopes to reverse the spread of Ebola in the DRC within three months, but the rapid expansion of the outbreak continues to put pressure on health workers and response teams.
Cameroon players celebrate after beating Malawi 3-0 in the 2026 WAFCON final in Rabat.

Cameroon make history, beat Malawi 3-0 to win WAFCON

Cameroon have won the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations after defeating Malawi 3-0 in the final in Rabat on Sunday, August 16.   Marie Ngah scored twice, while Naomi Eto added another as the Indomitable Lionesses claimed their first WAFCON title after finishing runners-up three times previously. Cameroon entered the tournament in dramatic circumstances. They had failed to qualify after losing home and away to Algeria in the final qualifying round, but were given a second chance when the competition was expanded from 12 to 16 teams. Cameroon were among the four highest-ranked losing sides added to the tournament. Their historic triumph came against a Malawi side that had produced one of the competition’s biggest fairytales. The Scorchers, ranked 153rd in the world, became the lowest-ranked team at the tournament to reach the final. They defeated defending champions Nigeria, Egypt, Ghana and Algeria on their way to the title decider, with sisters Tabitha and Temwa Chawinga scoring nine goals between them. Malawi started the final brightly, with the Chawinga sisters causing problems with their pace and power. Cameroon, however, gradually took control. Ngah opened the scoring in the 20th minute after a cross was headed onto the crossbar by Malawi goalkeeper Mercy Sikelo. Ngah reacted quickest to nod the rebound into the net. Eto doubled Cameroon’s advantage nine minutes later, turning sharply with her back to goal before firing into the corner. Ngah then struck again three minutes into first-half stoppage time, heading home an Eto cross to give Cameroon a commanding 3-0 lead at the break. Ngah had an opportunity to complete her hat-trick early in the second half after rounding Sikelo, but she fired wide. Malawi improved after the interval and managed to contain Cameroon for long periods. Temwa Chawinga also went close with a low effort following a goalmouth scramble, but the Scorchers could not find a way back into the match. The victory completed a remarkable turnaround for Cameroon, who had previously lost the 2004, 2014 and 2016 WAFCON finals to Nigeria. The result also secured Cameroon a place at the 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil alongside Malawi, Algeria and Morocco, who all reached the semi-finals. South Africa and Ghana, who lost in the quarter-finals, have secured places in the intercontinental play-offs, meaning Africa could have as many as six teams at the World Cup.

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.