The Department of State Services (DSS), Sokoto State Command, has warned of planned attacks by terrorists and bandit groups targeting tertiary institutions across the state. According to TheCable, the security alert, dated August 18, was addressed to the Sokoto State Government. A DSS source also confirmed the authenticity of the alert. The service said intelligence indicated that criminal groups had shifted their focus from primary and secondary schools to universities and other tertiary institutions. The planned attacks could result in the abduction of students, lecturers, non-academic staff and their family members, the DSS warned. The agency described the development as a serious threat to the education sector, noting that tertiary institutions accommodate large numbers of students and staff. Beyond kidnapping, the DSS said a successful attack could disrupt academic activities, create widespread fear and weaken public confidence in the government’s ability to protect citizens and public institutions. The agency also warned that such attacks could damage Nigeria’s international image and worsen insecurity already affecting education in parts of the country. DSS urges urgent security measures The DSS called for an immediate upgrade of security arrangements around tertiary institutions across Sokoto State. It urged authorities to adopt proactive measures rather than wait for criminal groups to carry out attacks. The agency said relevant security and emergency response agencies had already been alerted and urged them to deploy appropriate countermeasures to protect students, staff and critical educational infrastructure. The DSS also called on the Sokoto State Government to treat the warning as an urgent matter and coordinate efforts to strengthen security around universities and other tertiary institutions.
Read more
https://t.me/s/Martin_casino_officials