/ Aug 21, 2026
/ Aug 21, 2026

Kogi ex-convict is killed for burning politician to death

Published on

By

A renowned felon named Kabir Bala was put to death by the Joint Security Team in Kogi State in connection with the passing of Salome Abu, the female leader of the Peoples Democratic Party.

Speaking to reporters on Thursday, the state’s commissioner of police, Akeem Yusuf, revealed that on Wednesday, Bala met his demise in Ejule in the state’s Ofu Local Government Area.

He said, “It would be recalled that the Kogi State Government, in October 2018, granted pardon in the prerogative of mercy as part of rehabilitation to one notorious gang leader named Kabir Bala, aka Okwo, in Ejule, Ofu LGA.

“However, the said Kabir Bala remained an unrepentant criminal with lots of atrocities traced to him which includes dealing in illegal arms, kidnappings and killings in the state

“Several cases had been traced to him such as the burning alive of Mrs Salome Abu, a PDP woman leader in Olu LGA, in her residence on November 2015, at Ochadamu, and the killing of two gala youths, Umoru Abeh and Unerwu Sule on April 20, 2022, at Ejule.”

Yusuf explained that Bala also killed five Fulani herders including Ibrahim, Haruna and Shuaibu Wang on Alloma Road, in the Ofu LGA in April 2022, and Muhammed and Dauda on March 3, 2023.

He said, “Other crimes committed by Kabir Bala and his gang included an attack on troops of the Nigerian Navy and dispossessing them of four rifles at the Alloma village on March 4, 2022. However, the firearms were later returned to the Navy following a high-powered intervention.

“Attack on Elisha Aya, a pastor and founder of the Kingdom Faith Assembly, Ejule, on March 18, 2022, who later paid N1m to Bala as a levy for establishing a church; invasion of Egane Fulani settlement; burning of 213 huts; rustled 122 cows on December 25, 2022, and assault on the Lord’s Chosen Church, Ejule, on January 29, 2023, for disturbing his hotel with their service, during which a worshipper, Joy Abuh, sustained a gunshot injury on her left hand.”

The police boss said Bala was also responsible for seven kidnappings along Itobe-Anyigba Highway from May 5 to 28, 2023.

According to him, based on the above facts, the decision reached at the state security council meeting held on June 20, 2023, that the state pardon granted to Bala in 2018 be revoked immediately while security agencies must go after him and arrest him immediately for prosecution alongside known accomplices.

He added, “Joint operations should be set up comprising the Nigerian Army, Nigerian Navy, Nigeria Police, DSS, and Civil Defence, to go after Kabir Bala and his gang to arrest them and recover the arms in their possession.

“Today, June 22, 2023, around 04.30am in pursuit of Kabir Bala and his gang members, on sighting the joint security team, opened fire on them and started shooting sporadically.

“The team engaged the hoodlums and Kabir Bala was neutralised in the process while other members of his gang escaped with varying degrees of injury.”

He said items recovered from his premises included one AK 47 rifle with three fully loaded magazines, six locally-fabricated weapons and two phones and charms

He noted that the ongoing onslaught against criminal activities would be sustained to ensure the safety of lives and properties in the state.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

The Kaduna State Police Command has rescued 75 travellers, including men, women and children, who were abducted by armed men near Folwaya Village in Birnin Gwari Local Government Area.   The victims were travelling in commercial buses when gunmen armed with AK-47 rifles and other sophisticated weapons reportedly intercepted them at about 5:30pm on Wednesday, August 19, 2026. According to the Kaduna police, the abductors took the travellers into a forest and concealed them inside a cave in a mountainous area. Police Public Relations Officer, Mansir Hassan, said the rescue followed credible information provided by the Birnin Gwari branch of the National Union of Road Transport Workers. A crack team from the Birnin Gwari Area Command was deployed after receiving the information. The arrival of the police operatives reportedly forced the kidnappers to flee, leaving the captives behind. The 75 victims were subsequently rescued unharmed, while items were recovered during the operation. The Commissioner of Police, Rabiu Muhammad, commended the NURTW branch for providing what he described as timely and vital information that enabled the police to respond swiftly. He also praised the Birnin Gwari Area Commander and his officers for their response to the distress call. Muhammad urged residents to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious movements or activities to security agencies. He also warned residents against taking the law into their own hands, saying such actions could endanger innocent lives. Birnin Gwari has faced persistent security challenges, including kidnapping, armed banditry and attacks on rural communities and travellers. Its location along routes linking Kaduna with neighbouring parts of Niger State has also left some roads and communities vulnerable to criminal groups operating in forested areas.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.