/ Aug 21, 2026
/ Aug 21, 2026

BREAKING: Three medical students die in Calabar boat cruise, bodies identified

Published on

By

The Police have released the details of the three medical students that died in a boat cruise in Calabar on Saturday. 

Cross River Commissioner Gyogon Augustine Grimah confirmed the bodies were recovered on Monday.

They went missing when the boat in which they were cruising capsized on Saturday.

Thirteen medical students across different universities in Nigeria were involved in the boat accident.

Ten were rescued alive as soon as the boat capsized while the three went missing.

Read Also:

Kogi ex-convict is killed for burning politician to death

Two of the deceased students were from Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria and one from the University of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.

The ABU medical students were identified as Mustapha Aminu Tukur and Kabiru Hamza.

The student from the University of Uyo was identified as Aisha Celestine Ogwu.

You May Like

4 thoughts on “BREAKING: Three medical students die in Calabar boat cruise, bodies identified

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

DSS warns of planned terrorist and bandit attacks on tertiary institutions in Sokoto State.

DSS alerts Sokoto over planned terrorist attacks on universities

The Department of State Services (DSS), Sokoto State Command, has warned of planned attacks by terrorists and bandit groups targeting tertiary institutions across the state.   According to TheCable, the security alert, dated August 18, was addressed to the Sokoto State Government. A DSS source also confirmed the authenticity of the alert. The service said intelligence indicated that criminal groups had shifted their focus from primary and secondary schools to universities and other tertiary institutions. The planned attacks could result in the abduction of students, lecturers, non-academic staff and their family members, the DSS warned. The agency described the development as a serious threat to the education sector, noting that tertiary institutions accommodate large numbers of students and staff. Beyond kidnapping, the DSS said a successful attack could disrupt academic activities, create widespread fear and weaken public confidence in the government’s ability to protect citizens and public institutions. The agency also warned that such attacks could damage Nigeria’s international image and worsen insecurity already affecting education in parts of the country. DSS urges urgent security measures The DSS called for an immediate upgrade of security arrangements around tertiary institutions across Sokoto State. It urged authorities to adopt proactive measures rather than wait for criminal groups to carry out attacks. The agency said relevant security and emergency response agencies had already been alerted and urged them to deploy appropriate countermeasures to protect students, staff and critical educational infrastructure. The DSS also called on the Sokoto State Government to treat the warning as an urgent matter and coordinate efforts to strengthen security around universities and other tertiary institutions.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.