/ May 20, 2026
/ May 20, 2026

DHQ confirms 175 ISIS fighters killed in joint Nigeria-US strikes

Published on

By

Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says at least 175 ISIS-linked terrorists have been killed in ongoing joint operations with United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) in the country’s Northeast.

 

According to a report by The Nation, the military said the coordinated strikes, involving both ground troops and air support, have intensified in recent days and dealt major blows to insurgent networks operating in the region.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, Maj.-Gen. Samaila Uba said the latest assessment, as of May 19, showed 175 ISIS militants had been killed during the operation.

The DHQ said the offensive also destroyed terrorist checkpoints, weapons stockpiles, logistics bases, military hardware and financial structures used to sustain operations. The military described the campaign as one of its most successful recent offensives against extremist groups in the Northeast.

Among those reportedly killed was Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, identified by the military as a senior ISIS operative with responsibility for external operations. DHQ said he played a major role in financing, recruitment, logistics and attack planning involving targets in Nigeria and beyond.

The military added that his death was expected to significantly weaken ISIS command structures and disrupt its wider attack networks.

Other senior figures listed among those killed were Abd-al Wahhab, said to be an ISWAP commander involved in coordinating attacks and propaganda, Abu Musa al-Mangawi, and Abu al-Muthanna al-Muhajir, described as a senior media operative and close associate of al-Minuki.

The operation follows an earlier announcement on Monday in which the Nigerian military and AFRICOM confirmed that 20 ISIS fighters were killed during coordinated strikes around the Marte axis of the Northeast.

The DHQ said the latest operation underlines the Armed Forces’ determination to sustain pressure on insurgents and deny them safe havens across the country.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.