/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

Desmond Elliot loses APC ticket in Surulere primary upset

Published on

By

Actor-turned-politician Desmond Elliot has lost his bid to secure the All Progressives Congress (APC) ticket to contest for another term in the Lagos State House of Assembly.

 

TheCable reported that Elliot was defeated by Barakat Odunuga-Bakare in the APC primary election held on Wednesday in Surulere Constituency I.

Odunuga-Bakare, who is reportedly backed by Femi Gbajabiamila, polled 11,385 votes, while Elliot secured 270 votes across the constituency.

According to results circulating in a viral video, Odunuga-Bakare dominated most wards in the contest. At Owolewa Open Field off Randle Avenue, she secured 1,956 votes against Elliot’s 10 votes.

She also recorded 1,805 votes in the Iponri/Eric Moore ward, while Elliot managed six votes. In the Akinhanmi/Cole ward, Odunuga-Bakare polled 2,191 votes compared to Elliot’s 82 votes.

At Gbaja Stadium ward, Elliot failed to secure any vote as the female aspirant polled 523 votes. She also defeated the incumbent lawmaker in the Yaba/Ojuelegba ward with 980 votes against his three votes.

Elliot’s only notable lead came in the Shitta/Ogunlana ward, where he secured 270 votes, while Odunuga-Bakare polled 169 votes.

The lawmaker had been seeking a fourth term in the Lagos assembly after representing the constituency for three consecutive terms.

TheCable linked Elliot’s defeat to his strained relationship with Gbajabiamila following the 2025 impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

Gbajabiamila had recently told political stakeholders in Surulere that Elliot’s role in the impeachment saga nearly cost him his position as chief of staff to President Bola Tinubu.

He also claimed he asked Elliot to publicly distance himself from the impeachment plot, but the lawmaker allegedly failed to do so.

Elliot, however, said he believed the move against Obasa had the backing of President Tinubu and described himself and others involved as “confused” during the political crisis.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.