/ Aug 18, 2026
/ Aug 18, 2026

Six children died of starvation, rescued Borno captives reveal

Published on

By

Some of the 360 abductees recently rescued in Borno State have described the harsh conditions they endured while being held captive in the Mandara Mountains, revealing that six children died from illness and starvation during their ordeal.

 

According to Punch Newspaper, the victims spoke after reuniting with their families in Ngoshe, Gwoza Local Government Area, following their rescue by troops of Operation Hadin Kai.

The abductees were among 416 residents seized during a terrorist attack on Ngoshe on March 4 and taken to an enclave operated by Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad (JAS), a faction linked to Boko Haram.

Operation Hadin Kai announced on Sunday that the captives had been rescued after weeks of intelligence gathering, covert reconnaissance and operational planning involving special forces and troops from Sector 1.

Recounting her experience, one of the freed captives, Halima Musa, said six children died while in captivity after falling ill.

“While in captivity, we lost six children, two boys and four girls. They died after falling sick,” she said.

Musa added that food was scarce, with captives often surviving on a single meal of guinea corn each day.

“We ate only guinea corn once a day. If you ate around 2pm, you would have to wait until the next day before eating again. Sometimes, there was no soup.”

Another former captive, who requested anonymity, said he observed a structured food distribution system among the terrorists, suggesting they may have access to farming operations.

The Borno State Government said no ransom was paid for the release of the abductees, crediting the military operation for their freedom.

According to counter-insurgency publication Zagazola Makama, the rescued victims arrived at a temporary camp in Ngoshe on Sunday afternoon, where they were welcomed by family members, community leaders and residents.

Speaking during the reception, Nura Abdullahi, commander of the 26 Task Force Brigade, reaffirmed the military’s commitment to restoring peace across north-east Nigeria.

He urged residents to continue supporting security agencies by providing credible information to help combat insurgency and maintain stability in the region.

Community representative Sulaiman Bello commended the military and security agencies for securing the captives’ release and pledged continued cooperation with efforts to rebuild and resettle Ngoshe.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NDLEA officials destroy over 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs worth ₦301 billion at Navy Town in Ojo, Lagos.

NDLEA destroys ₦301bn worth of cocaine, heroin and other drugs in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has destroyed more than 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs valued at ₦301 billion in Lagos.   The drugs were incinerated on Monday, August 17, at Navy Town in the Ojo area of the state in a court-ordered exercise covering uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. According to Channels Television, the destroyed substances included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, ephedrine, khat leaves and opioids such as tramadol and codeine syrup. Several varieties of cannabis, including Canadian Loud and skunk, were also destroyed. Seizures made across Lagos The NDLEA said the drugs were intercepted during operations carried out between April 2025 and May 2026. The agency’s Lagos Strategic Command accounted for 246,864.535kg, while specialised units operating across the state intercepted an additional 83,001.05kg. Those units included the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit. Speaking at the incineration site, NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), said the destruction demonstrated the agency’s determination to disrupt drug trafficking networks. He warned drug barons and financiers that law enforcement agencies would continue to pursue them regardless of where they operated. Marwa also said drug interceptions help protect communities from addiction and impaired driving while reducing potential healthcare costs and disrupting criminal networks. Drugs linked to violent crime Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, described the destruction as a reminder of the scale of the threat posed by illicit drugs. The Comptroller General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, linked the illicit drug trade to the activities of violent non-state actors. He said the destruction deprived drug dealers of investments worth billions of naira and denied violent groups resources that could support their activities. The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by the Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, also pledged continued military support for the NDLEA’s anti-drug operations.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.