/ Aug 18, 2026
/ Aug 18, 2026

Abure blames Obi and Otti for Labour Party leadership crisis

Published on

By

Former Labour Party chairman Julius Abure has blamed Peter Obi and Alex Otti for triggering the ongoing leadership crisis within the party, according to a report by Channels Television.

 

Leadership dispute escalates

In an interview on Channels Television’s Politics Today, Abure claimed that the party had been stable until Obi and Otti allegedly supported the creation of a caretaker committee in Umuahia. He described the move as the beginning of the internal breakdown.

Abure said: “Alex Otti and Peter Obi destabilised the tranquillity of the party,” insisting the intervention disrupted what he described as a previously smooth-running structure.

The claims were reported by Channels Television.

Counter claims over legitimacy

Abure rejected suggestions that he was an outsider in the party, insisting he remained a legitimate leader within the structure of the Labour Party.

He also referred to Senator Nenadi Usman as the “interloper”, further intensifying divisions within the party’s leadership tussle.

The dispute has continued between rival factions led by Abure and a caretaker committee linked to Usman.

Legal battle continues

Abure maintained that court rulings had, at different stages, affirmed his leadership position, citing judgments from the Federal High Court and Court of Appeal. He said his faction has appealed recent rulings and is awaiting a final decision from the Supreme Court.

The crisis follows years of internal conflict within the party after the 2023 general elections.

Key figures mentioned in the dispute include Julius Abure, Peter Obi, Alex Otti, and Nenadi Usman.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NDLEA officials destroy over 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs worth ₦301 billion at Navy Town in Ojo, Lagos.

NDLEA destroys ₦301bn worth of cocaine, heroin and other drugs in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has destroyed more than 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs valued at ₦301 billion in Lagos.   The drugs were incinerated on Monday, August 17, at Navy Town in the Ojo area of the state in a court-ordered exercise covering uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. According to Channels Television, the destroyed substances included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, ephedrine, khat leaves and opioids such as tramadol and codeine syrup. Several varieties of cannabis, including Canadian Loud and skunk, were also destroyed. Seizures made across Lagos The NDLEA said the drugs were intercepted during operations carried out between April 2025 and May 2026. The agency’s Lagos Strategic Command accounted for 246,864.535kg, while specialised units operating across the state intercepted an additional 83,001.05kg. Those units included the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit. Speaking at the incineration site, NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), said the destruction demonstrated the agency’s determination to disrupt drug trafficking networks. He warned drug barons and financiers that law enforcement agencies would continue to pursue them regardless of where they operated. Marwa also said drug interceptions help protect communities from addiction and impaired driving while reducing potential healthcare costs and disrupting criminal networks. Drugs linked to violent crime Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, described the destruction as a reminder of the scale of the threat posed by illicit drugs. The Comptroller General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, linked the illicit drug trade to the activities of violent non-state actors. He said the destruction deprived drug dealers of investments worth billions of naira and denied violent groups resources that could support their activities. The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by the Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, also pledged continued military support for the NDLEA’s anti-drug operations.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.