/ Aug 20, 2026
/ Aug 20, 2026

Super Typhoon Bavi leaves trail of damage across US Pacific Islands

Published on

By

Super Typhoon Bavi has battered the United States Pacific territories of the Northern Mariana Islands and Guam, leaving reports of major damage on the island of Rota as powerful winds and heavy rain swept across the region.

 

According to AFP, as published by Channels Television, the National Weather Service (NWS) said the eye of the storm passed directly over Rota early on Monday, packing sustained winds of up to 180 mph (290 km/h), equivalent to a Category 5 hurricane.

Authorities on Rota, home to about 1,500 residents, reported significant destruction, although communication outages made it difficult to determine the full extent of the damage.

“We are hanging in there. We are experiencing heavy winds and flooding here. Some people are already reporting major damages,” Rota Municipal Operations Center public information officer Lou Rosario said, adding that some mobile phone services had failed after a communications tower collapsed.

Before the storm made landfall, the NWS warned residents to seek immediate shelter, saying the extreme winds should be treated like an approaching tornado. The agency also cautioned that a direct hit could leave much of Rota uninhabitable for weeks, with widespread tree damage and prolonged power outages.

Neighbouring islands including Tinian, northern Guam and southern Saipan experienced hurricane-force winds, while forecasters said conditions would gradually improve as the storm moved westward.

Authorities in Guam warned that between eight and 12 inches (20 to 30 centimetres) of rainfall could trigger flash flooding. Residents were advised to remain indoors as winds of 50 to 80 mph, with stronger gusts, continued through the afternoon.

Many residents had already endured severe weather earlier this year. Tinian resident Edwin Santa Theresa said electricity to his home had only been restored four days earlier after April’s Typhoon Sinlaku before being cut again by Bavi.

In Guam, hotels sheltered hundreds of residents seeking safety from the storm. Businesses also boarded up their premises ahead of landfall to minimise damage.

Meteorologists said warmer ocean temperatures and the return of El Niño could contribute to a more active tropical cyclone season across the Pacific.

The World Meteorological Organization recently confirmed that El Niño has developed in the tropical Pacific, raising concerns over increased storm activity in the coming months.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NAPTIP operatives seal a suspected maternity facility in Port Harcourt during an investigation into alleged child trafficking and baby sales.

NAPTIP seals maternity home over alleged ₦13.5m baby sale

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has sealed a suspected illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and arrested three people over an alleged ₦13.5 million baby sale.   The development was reported by Channels Television on Thursday, August 20, 2026. The suspects include the owner of the facility, an alleged facilitator of the baby transfer and a staff member, according to NAPTIP. The agency said the facility, located in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt, was allegedly operating from a residential apartment. NAPTIP said its operatives from Abuja and Rivers State carried out the operation alongside officials of the Rivers State Ministry of Health after receiving intelligence about a suspected child-trafficking syndicate involved in the procurement, sale and unlawful transfer of children. Preliminary investigations reportedly showed that a Liberian national residing in Belgium arrived in Nigeria without evidence of pregnancy but allegedly took custody of three children within about one month. NAPTIP said intelligence available to investigators indicated that about ₦13.5 million may have changed hands in connection with the transfer of the three children. Investigators are working to establish the identities, whereabouts and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage. They are also tracing financial transactions and investigating the possible involvement of medical personnel and other individuals. The agency said the maternity facility was sealed to preserve potential evidence as investigations continue. NAPTIP vows prosecution NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Bello, expressed concern over the alleged involvement of some maternity and healthcare facilities in illegal adoption, child sales and trafficking. Bello said the agency was expanding its investigation to identify everyone connected to the alleged operation and warned that those found culpable would face prosecution under the law. She also urged members of the public to report suspected cases of child trafficking, illegal adoption, baby-selling and other forms of exploitation to NAPTIP. The agency said the operation was part of a nationwide crackdown on fraudulent maternity and healthcare facilities allegedly operating as so-called baby factories.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.