/ Aug 23, 2026
/ Aug 23, 2026

Trump declares Iran ceasefire over as Hormuz fighting resumes

Published on

By

US President Donald Trump has declared that the ceasefire between the United States and Iran is effectively over after fresh fighting erupted around the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz.

 

Speaking at a NATO summit in Turkey on Wednesday, Trump dismissed the truce, saying he no longer believed it was worth pursuing despite ongoing diplomatic efforts.

“As far as I’m concerned, it’s over,” Trump said. “It’s just a waste of time dealing with them. I’ll let our wonderful negotiators keep talking if they want, but I don’t see it.”

According to AFP, as published by TheCable, the renewed violence follows a series of Iranian attacks on commercial vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, a key global shipping route. The conflict, which began in late February with major US-Israeli strikes on Iran, has continued to escalate despite an interim agreement aimed at reducing hostilities.

Oil prices rose by about five percent after Trump’s remarks, reflecting growing concerns over disruptions to global energy supplies.

Iranian state media reported multiple explosions around the Strait of Hormuz, including on Qeshm Island, in Sirik and Bandar Abbas. Additional blasts were also reported in Bushehr, home to Iran’s only civilian nuclear power plant and close to the country’s main oil export terminal on Kharg Island.

Iran also confirmed that a member of its Revolutionary Guards was killed in the latest attacks.

The US Central Command (CENTCOM) said it had struck more than 80 Iranian targets, including air defence systems, coastal radar sites and dozens of Revolutionary Guards boats. It said the operation was intended to reduce Iran’s ability to attack international shipping.

Iran responded by claiming it targeted dozens of US military facilities in Kuwait and Bahrain. Authorities in both countries confirmed that air defence systems had been activated but did not immediately report significant damage.

Iran’s chief negotiator, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, accused Washington of violating the memorandum of understanding by reimposing oil sanctions and failing to honour previous commitments.

The US Treasury Department has revoked sanction waivers that previously allowed Iran to sell crude oil until August, increasing pressure on Tehran during negotiations.

Meanwhile, three commercial vessels were attacked near the Strait of Hormuz this week. British maritime security agency UKMTO said one tanker was struck by an unidentified projectile while two others were hit, including at least one by a drone.

The affected ships included the Marshall Islands-flagged Al Rekayyat, the Saudi Arabia-flagged Wedyan and the Liberia-flagged Cyprus Prosperity.

Security analysts say the latest attacks highlight Iran’s determination to oppose alternative shipping arrangements through the Strait of Hormuz while negotiations over the waterway’s future continue.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Saliu Mustapha speaking during a television interview about the 2027 Kwara Central senatorial election.

Saliu Mustapha vows to defeat AbdulRazaq in Kwara senate race

Senator Saliu Mustapha has expressed confidence that he will defeat Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq in the 2027 Kwara Central senatorial election.   Mustapha, who recently defected from the All Progressives Congress to the Peoples Democratic Party, made the declaration during an interview with Channels Television on Friday. The senator said his departure from the APC was difficult because of his role in the formation of the party. He recalled serving as deputy national chairman of the Congress for Progressive Change and said he helped facilitate the merger that eventually produced the APC. Mustapha questioned AbdulRazaq’s political allegiance during the period the APC was formed, noting that the governor was then a member of the Peoples Democratic Party. “Where was Abdulrahman Abdulrazak then? Where was he then? He was in PDP then, fighting against us,” Mustapha said, according to TheCable. He said consultations with constituents and political stakeholders influenced his decision to leave the APC, describing the move as a collective response to what he called “shenanigans” within the party in Kwara. Mustapha had contested the APC governorship primary on May 22 but lost to Yakubu Danladi-Salihu, Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly. Danladi-Salihu secured 94,990 votes in the primary. Following his failure to secure the governorship ticket, Mustapha also lost the opportunity to return to the Senate on the APC platform after AbdulRazaq emerged as the party’s preferred candidate for Kwara Central. Asked whether he could defeat the governor in the senatorial contest, Mustapha gave an emphatic response. “I will have won that election 12 o’clock before one o’clock,” he said. When asked whether he was specifically referring to defeating AbdulRazaq, he replied: “Yes, it will be one election; Nigerians will be waiting to see the result.” Mustapha also claimed that members of the G15, the Elders Caucus and the Otoge Progressives were favourably disposed towards supporting PDP candidates in the 2027 elections. He attributed the development to dissatisfaction over the conduct of the APC primaries, including what he described as inadequate consultation and a lack of a sense of belonging among stakeholders. According to him, Kwara had more than 160 aspirants for state House of Assembly seats, about 17 governorship aspirants, 64 House of Representatives aspirants and 15 senatorial aspirants before the APC primaries. Mustapha said several political parties approached the aggrieved stakeholders, but they chose the PDP because of its support for President Bola Tinubu’s 2027 ambition. “We looked at the most friendly party,” he said, describing the Wike-led PDP faction as the leading party outside the APC supporting Tinubu’s presidential bid. The comments set the stage for a closely watched political contest in Kwara Central as Mustapha prepares to challenge AbdulRazaq for the senatorial seat in 2027.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.