/ May 18, 2026
/ May 18, 2026

Coup leader sworn in as interim president in Gabon

Published on

By

Gabonese General, Brice Oligui Nguema, who last week led a coup ending 55 years of rule by the Bongo dynasty, was sworn in on Monday as interim president, AFP journalists saw.

Oligui, head of the elite Republican Guard, led officers in a coup on Wednesday against President Ali Bongo Ondimba, scion of a family that had ruled since 1967.

The ousting came just moments after Bongo, 64, was proclaimed victor in last month’s presidential election — a result branded a fraud by the opposition.

“I swear before God and the Gabonese people to faithfully preserve the republican regime,” said Oligui.

Dressed in the red ceremonial costume of the Republican Guard, Oligui also swore to “preserve the achievements of democracy”, at the ceremony held before judges of the Constitutional Court.

He immediately pledged in a speech to hold “free… (and) transparent elections” after a transition period which he did not specify, and to amnesty “prisoners of conscience.”

Elections promised

The coup leaders on Wednesday said they had dissolved the nation’s institutions, cancelled the election results and temporarily closed the borders.

Other countries have not acknowledged Oligui as Gabon’s legitimate leader and he faces pressure to spell out his plans for restoring civilian rule.

Read Also:

Gabonese army officers declare they are ‘taking power’ from Bongo

Oligui was lifted up triumphantly by his troops following the announcement of the coup, and in the days since has been seen flanked by generals and colonels.

He has also held hours of high-profile discussions with business and religious leaders, unions, political parties, NGOs, diplomats, and journalists, and has been taking notes and responding at length to questions and grievances.

On Friday, he vowed to create more democratic institutions that respect human rights, but said he would proceed “without haste”.

A fringe of the former opposition is urging Oligui to hand over power, but many people in Gabon seem happy about the overthrow of the Bongo dynasty, with celebrations in the streets of the capital Libreville and the economic hub of Port-Gentil.

Several Western countries and organisations have condemned the coup while acknowledging that it is different to others on the continent due to concerns over the credibility of the vote itself.

“Naturally, military coups are not the solution, but we must not forget that in Gabon there had been elections full of irregularities,” said the European Union’s foreign policy chief Josep Borrell.

‘Make noise’

Former president Bongo had been seeking his third term in office after coming to power in 2009 following the death of his father Omar, who ruled Gabon with an iron fist for over 40 years.

The coup leaders said they had put him under house arrest and placed him “in retirement”.

But Bongo managed to distribute a video on social media where he said his son and wife Sylvia had been detained, appealing to “all friends that we have all over the world… to make noise” on his behalf.

National TV on Friday showed rolling images of the deposed president’s son Noureddin Bongo Valentin and other arrested officials in front of suitcases filled with cash allegedly seized from their homes.

The military has accused them of treason, embezzlement, corruption and falsifying the president’s signature, among other allegations.

Five other countries in Africa — Mali, Guinea, Sudan, Burkina Faso and Niger — have undergone coups in the last three years. Their new rulers have resisted demands for a short timetable for returning to barracks.

You May Like

4 thoughts on “Coup leader sworn in as interim president in Gabon

  1. В мире ставок, где любой площадка стремится привлечь обещаниями простых джекпотов, рейтинг лучших казино онлайн
    превращается именно той ориентиром, что проводит мимо ловушки подвохов. Игрокам хайроллеров плюс новичков, кто устал от пустых посулов, он инструмент, чтоб ощутить подлинную выплату, словно вес золотой ставки на пальцах. Без пустой ерунды, только проверенные клубы, где rtp не только число, а конкретная везение.Составлено из поисковых трендов, как паутина, которая вылавливает топовые горячие тенденции на интернете. Здесь нет роли про стандартных фишек, всякий момент словно ставка на покере, в котором подвох раскрывается немедленно. Игроки понимают: по стране манера письма и сарказмом, где ирония скрывается словно намёк, помогает миновать обмана.На http://www.don8play.ru такой список лежит словно готовая раздача, готовый на старту. Зайди, когда нужно почувствовать пульс настоящей ставки, обходя обмана и разочарований. Тем что ценит вес выигрыша, он как иметь фишки в ладонях, минуя пялиться в дисплей.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Dani Carvajal pictured in Real Madrid colours ahead of his final match at Santiago Bernabeu after the club confirmed his exit.

Dani Carvajal leaves Real Madrid as club confirms summer exit

Dani Carvajal will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season, ending a decorated spell that saw the veteran defender become one of the club’s most successful players. The Spanish giants confirmed the decision on Monday, saying the 34-year-old will play his final game at Santiago Bernabéu Stadium this weekend when Madrid host Athletic Bilbao in their final home match of the campaign. According to Channels Television, Carvajal departs after making 450 appearances for Madrid and winning 27 trophies, including six UEFA Champions League titles and four La Liga crowns. In a statement, the club described Carvajal as “one of the greatest legends” in its history, while club president Florentino Pérez called him “a symbol of Real Madrid and its academy”. Carvajal came through Madrid’s famed academy system before briefly joining Bayer Leverkusen in 2012. The defender returned to Madrid a year later and became a key figure in one of the club’s most dominant modern eras. His final season has been disrupted by injuries, with Spanish reports suggesting he will miss out on selection for Spain national football team at this summer’s FIFA World Cup. Carvajal’s departure closes a major chapter for Madrid, who are set to finish a second consecutive season without a major trophy.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.