/ Aug 17, 2026
/ Aug 17, 2026

Gabonese army officers declare they are ‘taking power’ from Bongo

Published on

By

Army officers have appeared on national television in Gabon on Wednesday to announce they have taken over power in the Central African country, BBC reports.

They said they were annulling the results of Saturday’s election, in which President Ali Bongo was declared the winner.

The soldiers who introduced themselves as members of the CTRI (The Committee of Transition and Restoration of Institutions) said, “We have decided to defend peace by putting an end to the regime in power.”

The electoral commission said Bongo’s main challenger, Albert Ondo Ossa, had come in second place with 30.77%. Bongo’s team have rejected Ondo Ossa’s allegations of electoral irregularities.

His overthrow would end his family’s 53-year hold on power in Gabon.

Bongo has been in power for 14 years in the oil-rich West African country. He was first elected in 2009 following the death of his father, Omar Bongo Ondimba, who had ruled the country for 41 years.

Before polls closed on Saturday, Ondo Ossa had accused Bongo of “fraud” while claiming he was the rightful winner.

While announcing the cancellation of the vote results one of the officers said “all the institutions of the republic” had been dissolved.

The full statement reads:
“Our beautiful country, Gabon, has always been a haven of peace.

“Today, the country is going through a serious institutional, political, economic and social crisis.

“We are therefore forced to admit that the organisation of the general elections of 26 August 2023 did not meet the conditions for a transparent, credible and inclusive ballot so much hoped for by the people of Gabon.

“Added to this is irresponsible and unpredictable governance, resulting in a continuing deterioration in social cohesion, with the risk of leading the country into chaos.

Read Also:

Army kill two IPOB members, arrest five

“Today, 30 August 2023, we — the defence and security forces, gathered as the Committee for the Transition and Restoration of Institutions (CTRI) on behalf of the people of Gabon and as guarantors of the institutions’ protection — have decided to defend peace by putting an end to the current regime.

“To this end, the general elections of 26 August 2023 and the truncated results are cancelled.

“The borders are closed until further notice.

“All the institutions of the Republic are dissolved: the government, the Senate, the National Assembly, the Constitutional Court, the Economic, Social and Environmental Council and the Gabonese Elections Centre.

“We call for calm and serenity from the public, the communities of sister countries settled in Gabon, and the Gabonese diaspora.

“We reaffirm our commitment to respecting Gabon’s commitments to the national and international community.

“People of Gabon, we are finally on the road to happiness.

“May God and the spirits of our ancestors bless Gabon. Honour and loyalty to our homeland.

“Thank you.”

You May Like

3 thoughts on “Gabonese army officers declare they are ‘taking power’ from Bongo

  1. You reported that adequately!
    casino en ligne
    Whoa quite a lot of awesome facts.
    meilleur casino en ligne
    Appreciate it! Quite a lot of stuff.
    meilleur casino en ligne
    Great knowledge Thank you!
    casino en ligne francais
    You explained that well.
    casino en ligne fiable
    Perfectly voiced of course. !
    casino en ligne
    Reliable stuff, Many thanks.
    casino en ligne France
    Many thanks, An abundance of posts!
    casino en ligne
    Amazing quite a lot of superb tips!
    casino en ligne France
    Awesome write ups Appreciate it!
    casino en ligne francais

  2. В лабиринте игр, где любой ресурс пытается зацепить обещаниями простых джекпотов, казино рейтинг
    становится как раз той путеводителем, что ведет через заросли обмана. Для ветеранов плюс новичков, которые надоел от фальшивых обещаний, он помощник, дабы увидеть настоящую rtp, словно вес выигрышной фишки у руке. Минус лишней болтовни, только надёжные сайты, где rtp не просто цифра, а ощутимая везение.Подобрано на основе яндексовых поисков, будто паутина, которая захватывает наиболее горячие тенденции в интернете. В нём отсутствует пространства к клише фишек, любой момент словно ход у игре, там подвох выявляется сразу. Хайроллеры знают: по стране тон речи и иронией, где ирония скрывается под рекомендацию, даёт обойти ловушек.В https://www.don8play.ru этот список находится будто раскрытая колода, приготовленный на старту. Загляни, если хочешь почувствовать пульс подлинной игры, без обмана и провалов. Тем кто ценит ощущение приза, такое как держать фишки в ладонях, минуя глядеть по экран.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NDLEA officials destroy over 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs worth ₦301 billion at Navy Town in Ojo, Lagos.

NDLEA destroys ₦301bn worth of cocaine, heroin and other drugs in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has destroyed more than 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs valued at ₦301 billion in Lagos.   The drugs were incinerated on Monday, August 17, at Navy Town in the Ojo area of the state in a court-ordered exercise covering uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. According to Channels Television, the destroyed substances included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, ephedrine, khat leaves and opioids such as tramadol and codeine syrup. Several varieties of cannabis, including Canadian Loud and skunk, were also destroyed. Seizures made across Lagos The NDLEA said the drugs were intercepted during operations carried out between April 2025 and May 2026. The agency’s Lagos Strategic Command accounted for 246,864.535kg, while specialised units operating across the state intercepted an additional 83,001.05kg. Those units included the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit. Speaking at the incineration site, NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), said the destruction demonstrated the agency’s determination to disrupt drug trafficking networks. He warned drug barons and financiers that law enforcement agencies would continue to pursue them regardless of where they operated. Marwa also said drug interceptions help protect communities from addiction and impaired driving while reducing potential healthcare costs and disrupting criminal networks. Drugs linked to violent crime Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, described the destruction as a reminder of the scale of the threat posed by illicit drugs. The Comptroller General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, linked the illicit drug trade to the activities of violent non-state actors. He said the destruction deprived drug dealers of investments worth billions of naira and denied violent groups resources that could support their activities. The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by the Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, also pledged continued military support for the NDLEA’s anti-drug operations.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.