/ Aug 18, 2026
/ Aug 18, 2026

Ex PHCN, NEPA workers seek payment of benefits, severance packages

Published on

By

Some former staff of the defunct National Electric Power Authority (NEPA) and Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) have lamented the hardship they are facing due to their withheld benefits and severance packages by Federal Government through the Bureau of Public Enterprise (BPE).

The affected staff, who were laid off in 2013, demanded payment of all their benefits and severance packages through implementation of report of a committee headed by erstwhile labour leader, Hassan Sunmonu.

Speaking in Ibadan on behalf of of the affected staff, Olusegun Iyanda said the benefits include ten percent equity share of power industry to every employees, pre retirement training within and outside the country which was said to be monetised, contributory pension, insurance and other things as recommended by the Sumonu’s report.

Read Also:

Tinubu ends electricity tariff hike, insists on subsidy

He stated that all they want is for BPE, which is charged with overall responsibility of implementing Nigerian policy on privatisation and commercialisation to pay everything as listed in the Sumonu’s report without coercion or intimidation.

He said: “Our employment was terminated in 2013 based on some policy, everybody were asked to go, before then, a committee headed by the erstwhile labour leader, Sumonu was set up to plan for our retirements, benefits and severance packages, at the end of the day, part payment of our benefits was paid to us having in mind that they will pay the remaining later.

“We later found out that rather than paying all that supposed to paid to us, they came out with a form last year that they want to pay, but the amount they wanted to pay was very ridiculous, the form indicated that once we signed it, we are saying government didn’t own us anything again aside the stipend they wanted to pay us.

“The form also indicated that signing it mean we agree on resolutions of our union and BPE, so, how can we agree on a resolutions to a meeting we are not party to? we are no longer in service, we don’t need the union.

“The union deducted two percent from the part payment paid to us, the money was above eight billion, it was shared by the union, and they still intend to deduct another two percent again.

“Some have agreed to take the ridiculous money, but those of us who refused to take the money formed a group and called it resolute group.”

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NDLEA officials destroy over 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs worth ₦301 billion at Navy Town in Ojo, Lagos.

NDLEA destroys ₦301bn worth of cocaine, heroin and other drugs in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has destroyed more than 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs valued at ₦301 billion in Lagos.   The drugs were incinerated on Monday, August 17, at Navy Town in the Ojo area of the state in a court-ordered exercise covering uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. According to Channels Television, the destroyed substances included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, ephedrine, khat leaves and opioids such as tramadol and codeine syrup. Several varieties of cannabis, including Canadian Loud and skunk, were also destroyed. Seizures made across Lagos The NDLEA said the drugs were intercepted during operations carried out between April 2025 and May 2026. The agency’s Lagos Strategic Command accounted for 246,864.535kg, while specialised units operating across the state intercepted an additional 83,001.05kg. Those units included the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit. Speaking at the incineration site, NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), said the destruction demonstrated the agency’s determination to disrupt drug trafficking networks. He warned drug barons and financiers that law enforcement agencies would continue to pursue them regardless of where they operated. Marwa also said drug interceptions help protect communities from addiction and impaired driving while reducing potential healthcare costs and disrupting criminal networks. Drugs linked to violent crime Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, described the destruction as a reminder of the scale of the threat posed by illicit drugs. The Comptroller General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, linked the illicit drug trade to the activities of violent non-state actors. He said the destruction deprived drug dealers of investments worth billions of naira and denied violent groups resources that could support their activities. The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by the Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, also pledged continued military support for the NDLEA’s anti-drug operations.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.