/ May 21, 2026
/ May 21, 2026

Maresca wants Conference League title to show Chelsea’s progress

Published on

By

Chelsea manager Enzo Maresca says Wednesday’s Conference League final against Real Betis is a chance to make history, reinforce a winning mentality and prove his young side belong at the top.

Chelsea finished fourth in the Premier League on Sunday to qualify for the Champions League, which they have won twice along with two Europa League trophies, raising questions about where the Conference League stands in their list of priorities.

“The Conference is important. For us it’s been important since day one. And the reason why is because it’s the European competition that we are currently in,” Maresca told reporters on Tuesday.

“… also because Chelsea can become the first club in Europe to win all the European competitions.

“If we are able to win, I think it’s a good thing because we continue to build the winning mentality.”

Maresca added that his side have proved themselves this season, with a final victory set to confirm their progress.

“Every game is a chance to show we have improved and that we want to win titles,” he said. “We are the youngest squad in the history of the Premier League, but also they are men. We are mature enough, and we can compete.”

Chelsea have had little time to prepare for the final but Maresca insisted their focus had never slipped.

“The message in the last 48 hours has been, we did something important (by qualifying for the Champions League). But if we want to confirm we’re becoming an important club, we need to show the desire to win the title and to win the game,” he added.

You May Like

One thought on “Maresca wants Conference League title to show Chelsea’s progress

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.