Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke’s convoy came under attack by suspected hoodlums in Osogbo on Wednesday, shortly after the governor visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.
According to a report by PUNCH, the incident triggered an exchange of gunfire between the suspected attackers and the governor’s security personnel.
The shooting reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes and occurred shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall, where he had met with the traditional ruler.
Adeleke had arrived at the palace at about 3:15pm in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after visiting the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo to receive his Certificate of Return following his re-election.
An eyewitness told PUNCH that the governor had already entered a vehicle with some close aides when heavy gunfire began.
The attackers were reportedly travelling in an unregistered Sienna bus and allegedly approached the palace through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.
A trader near the palace, identified as Munirat, said the attackers appeared to have known about the governor’s visit and may have been waiting for his arrival.
She said the assailants damaged the palace’s main gate and fired towards the entrance before security personnel repelled them.
The trader also said gunfire was heard near the Osogbo Central Mosque as the attackers engaged the governor’s security team before fleeing towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.
The incident reportedly caused panic in the area, with traders and residents abandoning their businesses and seeking safety.
Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack.
He said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the assailants and that no casualty was recorded.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.
PUNCH reported that sporadic gunshots were still being heard around the area as of 4:45pm, while several business owners had closed their shops amid fears of further violence.
The latest incident comes against the backdrop of previous political violence and security concerns in Osun. In June, the Ataoja alleged that gunmen had attacked his palace, while the police later disputed aspects of the account, saying a suspect arrested in connection with the incident was unarmed.
The reported attack on Adeleke’s convoy follows his successful re-election and comes at a time of heightened political tension in the state.