/ Aug 19, 2026
/ Aug 19, 2026

Doctors urge FG to subsidise insulin as prices rises from ₦5,000 to ₦25,000

Published on

By

Endocrinologists have urged the Federal Government to subsidise insulin and introduce a dedicated policy to improve access to the life-saving medication for Nigerians living with Type 1 diabetes.

 

The call was made on Wednesday during the sixth Annual Ogun State Youth Diabetes Camp organised by the Talabi Diabetes Centre in Abeokuta.

According to the doctors, the sharp rise in insulin prices is placing a heavy financial burden on young people who depend on the medication to stay alive.

The Camp Coordinator of the Talabi Diabetes Centre, Dr Olubiyi Adeshina, said a vial of insulin that previously cost about ₦5,000 now sells for approximately ₦25,000.

He explained that some patients require about two vials each month, meaning insulin alone could cost about ₦50,000 monthly, excluding expenses for blood glucose monitoring and other aspects of diabetes care.

Adeshina warned that people with Type 1 diabetes cannot safely stop taking insulin because prolonged insulin deficiency can cause dangerously high blood sugar, coma and death.

“All the days of their lives, at least three times a day, they will need to inject that insulin or else the blood sugar goes excessively high,” he said.

The doctor explained that Type 1 diabetes occurs when the immune system destroys the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas, leaving affected people dependent on insulin for survival.

He identified excessive urination, excessive thirst, weight loss, blurred vision and wounds that fail to heal among the symptoms associated with diabetes.

The Acting Director of the centre, Dr Ayotunde Ale, also appealed to President Bola Tinubu to establish a dedicated policy for people living with Type 1 diabetes, particularly children and young adults.

Ale said the monthly cost of insulin had risen from about ₦5,000 to approximately ₦25,000 amid inflation and rising living costs.

She called on the government to subsidise insulin and urged the National Assembly to address the challenges confronting people living with the condition.

Beyond the cost of treatment, Ale highlighted stigma and misconceptions as additional challenges facing young people with Type 1 diabetes.

She urged parents to seek medical attention and screening for children showing symptoms rather than attributing unexplained deaths to traditional beliefs.

The centre also called for greater involvement by non-governmental organisations and other stakeholders to support Nigerians living with diabetes.

Participants at the camp received training on safe insulin administration, blood sugar monitoring, appropriate nutrition and physical exercise.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Parc des Princes stadium in Paris, where PSG’s Ligue 1 opener against Rennes was moved due to poor pitch condition.

PSG-Rennes match moved over poor condition of pitch.

Paris Saint-Germain’s opening Ligue 1 title-defence fixture against Rennes has been moved from the Parc des Princes to Rennes’ Roazhon Park because of concerns over the condition of the pitch.   The French professional football league, LFP, announced the change on Wednesday, saying the state of the Parc des Princes surface meant player safety could not be guaranteed. The match will still be played on Sunday, August 23, with the date and kick-off time unchanged. As a result of the venue switch, PSG will host Rennes at the Parc des Princes when the two sides meet again on the weekend of March 6. The venue change comes days after PSG suffered a 1-0 defeat to Lens in the Champions’ Trophy. Meanwhile, PSG left-back Nuno Mendes has been suspended for three matches following his red card in that defeat. The Portugal international was sent off in the 87th minute for elbowing Lens forward Michal Skoras. Mendes will miss PSG’s Ligue 1 fixtures against Lille and Monaco. Coach Luis Enrique could turn to new signing Lucas Digne, who recently joined from Aston Villa, as his replacement. Lens defender Kyllian Antonio was also handed a two-match suspension after being dismissed for a dangerous tackle during Lens’ victory.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.