/ May 21, 2026
/ May 21, 2026

Osimhen nominated for 2025 CAF men’s player of the year

Published on

By

Victor Osimhen has been nominated for the 2025 CAF men’s African player of the year.

The Super Eagles striker is named in the 10-player list of nominees released by CAF on Wednesday.

Other footballers on the nominees’ list include the Mo Salah of Egypt, the Moroccan duo of Achraf Hakimi and Oussama Lamlioui, and Seyrou Guirassy of Guinea.

The rest are Fiston Mayele of Congo, Frank Anguissa of Cameroon, Denis Bouanga of Gabon and the Senegalese duo of Illmane Ndiaye and Pape Sarr.

𝗣𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗬𝗲𝗮𝗿 (𝗠𝗲𝗻) – 𝗡𝗼𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗲𝗲𝘀#CAFAwards2025 pic.twitter.com/z4VOFZERxM

— CAF_Online (@CAF_Online) October 22, 2025

Osimhen won the award in 2023. He was instrumental for Galatasaray last season, scoring 26 league goals to help the club seal a league triumph. His performance propelled Galatasaray to break the Turkish transfer record of €75 million to sign him permanently from Napoli.

Osimhen sets goal record as Galatasaray beat Bodo/Glimt
Victor Osimhen has scored three Champions League goals this term

The striker was also key in securing Nigeria’s playoff spot for the 2026 World Cup. He scored six goals in as many matches for the Eagles,

Stanley Nwabali is nominated for the men’s Goalkeeper of the Year prize. He will be competing against Yassine Bounou, Ronwen Williams and Andre Onana.

Daniel Bameyi, captain of the Flying Eagles of Nigeria, is also named among the contenders for the men’s young player of the year.

Last week, the Super Falcons’ duo of Rasheedat Ajibade and Esther Okoronkwo were also nominated for the CAF women’s best player prize.

You May Like

3 thoughts on “Osimhen nominated for 2025 CAF men’s player of the year

  1. Xsmega caught my eye. Seems lottery-focused. I’m not a HUGE lottery guy, but always dream of hitting the big one, haha. Worth keeping an eye on for those mega jackpots! Check it out yourself: xsmega

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.