/ Aug 17, 2026
/ Aug 17, 2026

African World Cup hopes rest on Egypt, Ghana, Cape Verde

Published on

By

Africa’s hopes of a strong showing at the 2026 FIFA World Cup rest on three nations today, with Egypt, Cape Verde and Ghana all fighting for places in the Round of 16.

 

So far, Morocco remains the continent’s only team to secure a place in the next round after edging past Netherlands in a dramatic knockout clash.

The Atlas Lions held the Dutch to a 1-1 draw after extra time before sealing victory in a tense penalty shootout, keeping African hopes alive in the tournament.

Africa entered the expanded 2026 World Cup with a record 10 representatives and delivered one of its strongest group-stage performances, with nine teams progressing to the Round of 32. Tunisia was the only side eliminated during the opening phase.

However, the knockout rounds have proved more difficult, with several African teams falling short, leaving Morocco as the sole team already through to the last 16.

Egypt will be first in action against Australia in Dallas. The Pharaohs need victory to book their place in the Round of 16 and continue what is shaping up as one of their most impressive World Cup campaigns.

Later, surprise package Cape Verde faces a daunting test against Argentina in Miami. The island nation has emerged as one of the tournament’s biggest stories and now faces a major challenge against Lionel Messi and his teammates.

The final African side in action is Ghana, who will take on Colombia in Kansas City. The Black Stars face a difficult test against an in-form Colombian side as they aim to extend Africa’s presence in the competition.

Friday’s matches will determine whether Africa sends more teams into the Round of 16 or whether Morocco will continue alone as the continent’s flag bearer in the tournament.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NDLEA officials destroy over 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs worth ₦301 billion at Navy Town in Ojo, Lagos.

NDLEA destroys ₦301bn worth of cocaine, heroin and other drugs in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has destroyed more than 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs valued at ₦301 billion in Lagos.   The drugs were incinerated on Monday, August 17, at Navy Town in the Ojo area of the state in a court-ordered exercise covering uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. According to Channels Television, the destroyed substances included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, ephedrine, khat leaves and opioids such as tramadol and codeine syrup. Several varieties of cannabis, including Canadian Loud and skunk, were also destroyed. Seizures made across Lagos The NDLEA said the drugs were intercepted during operations carried out between April 2025 and May 2026. The agency’s Lagos Strategic Command accounted for 246,864.535kg, while specialised units operating across the state intercepted an additional 83,001.05kg. Those units included the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit. Speaking at the incineration site, NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), said the destruction demonstrated the agency’s determination to disrupt drug trafficking networks. He warned drug barons and financiers that law enforcement agencies would continue to pursue them regardless of where they operated. Marwa also said drug interceptions help protect communities from addiction and impaired driving while reducing potential healthcare costs and disrupting criminal networks. Drugs linked to violent crime Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, described the destruction as a reminder of the scale of the threat posed by illicit drugs. The Comptroller General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, linked the illicit drug trade to the activities of violent non-state actors. He said the destruction deprived drug dealers of investments worth billions of naira and denied violent groups resources that could support their activities. The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by the Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, also pledged continued military support for the NDLEA’s anti-drug operations.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.