/ Aug 17, 2026
/ Aug 17, 2026

268 Nigerians return to Lagos as South Africa evacuation continues

Published on

By

Nigeria’s evacuation of citizens affected by anti-migrant violence in South Africa gathered pace on Friday as another batch of returnees arrived safely in Lagos.

 

An Air Peace flight conveying the fourth batch of evacuees landed at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport with 268 Nigerians onboard, alongside two officers and crew members.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Bianca Odumegwu Ojukwu confirmed that the special charter flight, funded by the Federal Government, departed O. R. Tambo International Airport at 5:36am.

According to the minister, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has directed that evacuation efforts continue beyond the June 30 deadline issued by anti-migrant groups in South Africa.

She disclosed that nearly 600 Nigerians had already been evacuated in three earlier batches before the deadline, with ongoing efforts to ensure all registered citizens willing to return home are safely repatriated.

The minister said the Federal Government remains committed to protecting Nigerians abroad, describing their safety and dignity as a central pillar of the administration’s Renewed Hope Agenda.

The evacuation comes amid rising tensions in South Africa, where thousands joined protests this week demanding the removal of undocumented foreign nationals. Demonstrations in cities including Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town were marked by isolated violence, looting and clashes with security forces.

Anti-immigrant groups, including March and March and Operation Dudula, have intensified pressure on undocumented migrants, blaming them for unemployment and strained public services.

Police said at least four foreign nationals, including two Mozambicans, an Ethiopian and a Malawian, have been killed in the latest wave of violence.

Nigeria is also pursuing compensation for citizens forced to abandon businesses and properties in South Africa. Acting Nigerian High Commissioner Alexander Ajayi said the government is documenting losses suffered by returnees to support future discussions with South African authorities.

Ajayi said affected Nigerians have been asked to provide detailed records of abandoned businesses, vehicles and other assets to help the government pursue compensation claims.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

NDLEA officials destroy over 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs worth ₦301 billion at Navy Town in Ojo, Lagos.

NDLEA destroys ₦301bn worth of cocaine, heroin and other drugs in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has destroyed more than 329,865 kilogrammes of illicit drugs valued at ₦301 billion in Lagos.   The drugs were incinerated on Monday, August 17, at Navy Town in the Ojo area of the state in a court-ordered exercise covering uncontested concluded cases and abandoned seizures. According to Channels Television, the destroyed substances included cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, ephedrine, khat leaves and opioids such as tramadol and codeine syrup. Several varieties of cannabis, including Canadian Loud and skunk, were also destroyed. Seizures made across Lagos The NDLEA said the drugs were intercepted during operations carried out between April 2025 and May 2026. The agency’s Lagos Strategic Command accounted for 246,864.535kg, while specialised units operating across the state intercepted an additional 83,001.05kg. Those units included the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Tincan and Apapa Strategic Commands, the Marine Command and a Special Operations Unit. Speaking at the incineration site, NDLEA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd.), said the destruction demonstrated the agency’s determination to disrupt drug trafficking networks. He warned drug barons and financiers that law enforcement agencies would continue to pursue them regardless of where they operated. Marwa also said drug interceptions help protect communities from addiction and impaired driving while reducing potential healthcare costs and disrupting criminal networks. Drugs linked to violent crime Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Bimbola Salu-Hundeyin, described the destruction as a reminder of the scale of the threat posed by illicit drugs. The Comptroller General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, linked the illicit drug trade to the activities of violent non-state actors. He said the destruction deprived drug dealers of investments worth billions of naira and denied violent groups resources that could support their activities. The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, represented by the Flag Officer Commanding Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Abdullahi Mustapha, also pledged continued military support for the NDLEA’s anti-drug operations.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.