/ Aug 22, 2026
/ Aug 22, 2026

Gong

  • All
  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Aviation
  • Banking
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • fashion
  • Health
  • Home
  • International
  • Judiciary
  • lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Nigeria
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sport
  • sports
  • Tech
  • Technology
  • World News

Trending

Tinubu to parents of abducted pupils, your children will return home

Another fake agency scandal: Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate suspension of three permanent secretaries and the arrest of a man accused of promoting another fictitious government agency within the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.   The affected permanent secretaries are M.S. Danjuma, Nadungu Gagare and Richard P. Pheelangwah. The Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, Musa Aliyu, disclosed the development on Friday after briefing Tinubu for the second time in two days. According to Aliyu, the newly uncovered body operated as the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office and had been allocated office space within the OSGF without presidential authorisation and contrary to existing laws. The ICPC chairman identified George Buchi Nwabueze as the promoter of the office and said he allegedly operated under several variations of his name. “The promoter was discovered to also operate under four other variations of his name,” Aliyu said. Tinubu subsequently directed the immediate arrest of Nwabueze and the suspension of the three permanent secretaries. Aliyu said the ICPC had engaged the OSGF to obtain information relevant to its investigation and would continue probing the circumstances surrounding the fictitious office. The latest discovery follows an earlier investigation into the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council, whose alleged promoter, Adeniyi Adeyemi, is facing prosecution over alleged forgery and impersonation. An ICPC interim report submitted to the President on August 6 had also identified two other alleged fictitious bodies: the FCT Investment Promotion Agency and the Foreign Investment Promotion Agency and Public-Private Partnership. The National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office is therefore the fourth alleged fake agency uncovered since the investigation into the PFIFC scandal began.
Ezri Konsa signs his Arsenal contract after completing a £51 million transfer from Aston Villa.

Arsenal sign Ezri Konsa from Aston Villa for £51m

Premier League champions Arsenal have completed the signing of England defender Ezri Konsa from Aston Villa for a reported £51 million ($69 million), strengthening their defence ahead of the new season.   The 28-year-old has signed a long-term contract with Arsenal and is expected to play a key role in manager Mikel Arteta’s plans as the Gunners begin their title defence. Konsa is set to partner Gabriel Magalhaes in central defence following William Saliba’s lengthy absence with a back injury. Jurrien Timber’s fitness is also a concern after his long-term groin problem. The England international could make his Arsenal debut against his former club when the Gunners travel to Aston Villa on August 31. “It’s a privilege to be here and I can’t wait to get started,” Konsa said. “I want to keep winning, I’m hungry to win and that’s what I’m here for.” Arsenal sporting director Andrea Berta praised Konsa’s quality, athleticism and tactical intelligence, while highlighting his ability to operate both at centre-back and right-back. The defender completed his medical at Arsenal’s London Colney training ground on Thursday before finalising the move. Konsa said conversations with Arsenal’s England players, including Noni Madueke, Eberechi Eze, Declan Rice and Bukayo Saka, helped convince him to join the Premier League champions. The defender joined Villa from Brentford in 2019 and made nearly 300 appearances for the club. He helped Villa win the Europa League last season and finish in the Premier League’s top four twice in the last three seasons. His departure comes during a significant period of change at Villa, with Youri Tielemans, Morgan Rogers and Lucas Digne also leaving the club during the close season. The signing is Arsenal’s latest major addition after the club won their first English league title in 22 years. The Gunners have also recruited Bruno Guimaraes and Christos Tzolis, while Piero Hincapie’s loan move from Bayer Leverkusen was made permanent.
INEC officials and security personnel preparing election materials ahead of the Ekiti State governorship election.

2027 elections: INEC sets November for nationwide mock accreditation

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) will conduct a nationwide mock accreditation exercise in November 2026 as part of preparations for Nigeria’s 2027 General Election.   INEC Chairman, Joash Amupitan, disclosed this on Friday when he received a delegation from the Canadian High Commission led by Canada’s Chargé d’Affaires to Nigeria, David Sproule, at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja. The exercise will test the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) and other electoral equipment while allowing the commission to identify and resolve potential operational challenges ahead of the elections. Amupitan said the mock accreditation is one of five strategic priorities adopted by INEC for the 2027 polls. The others are consolidating technological gains, deepening electoral inclusion, strengthening institutional capacity and technical support, and countering misinformation while protecting electoral integrity. He described the August 15 Osun State governorship election as an important benchmark for the commission’s preparations, noting that 3,556 of the state’s 3,763 polling units, representing 94.5 per cent, opened for accreditation and voting by 8:30 a.m. According to the INEC chairman, the Osun election also recorded strong BVAS performance, smooth result uploads to the IReV portal and proactive crisis management. INEC will require approximately 1.4 million ad-hoc personnel to conduct the 2027 elections across more than 176,000 polling units nationwide. The commission has also established a dedicated Artificial Intelligence (AI) unit to explore responsible applications of AI in areas including data management, voter registration and results transmission. The unit will also work on safeguards against the misuse of AI. Amupitan said INEC would participate in the Global Conference on Responsible AI and Elections in Ottawa, Canada, from September 9 to 11, 2026. The conference will examine responsible AI applications in elections and emerging threats such as deepfakes and disinformation. He also reaffirmed INEC’s independence and neutrality, saying the commission remained committed to democratic integrity. The Canadian delegation reaffirmed Canada’s support for Nigeria’s democratic and electoral processes, particularly voter participation, women’s inclusion, public awareness, technical assistance and election observation. The presidential and National Assembly elections are scheduled for January 16, 2027, while governorship and State House of Assembly elections will hold on February 6, 2027.

Police rescue 75 kidnapped travellers in Kaduna

The Kaduna State Police Command has rescued 75 travellers, including men, women and children, who were abducted by armed men near Folwaya Village in Birnin Gwari Local Government Area.   The victims were travelling in commercial buses when gunmen armed with AK-47 rifles and other sophisticated weapons reportedly intercepted them at about 5:30pm on Wednesday, August 19, 2026. According to the Kaduna police, the abductors took the travellers into a forest and concealed them inside a cave in a mountainous area. Police Public Relations Officer, Mansir Hassan, said the rescue followed credible information provided by the Birnin Gwari branch of the National Union of Road Transport Workers. A crack team from the Birnin Gwari Area Command was deployed after receiving the information. The arrival of the police operatives reportedly forced the kidnappers to flee, leaving the captives behind. The 75 victims were subsequently rescued unharmed, while items were recovered during the operation. The Commissioner of Police, Rabiu Muhammad, commended the NURTW branch for providing what he described as timely and vital information that enabled the police to respond swiftly. He also praised the Birnin Gwari Area Commander and his officers for their response to the distress call. Muhammad urged residents to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious movements or activities to security agencies. He also warned residents against taking the law into their own hands, saying such actions could endanger innocent lives. Birnin Gwari has faced persistent security challenges, including kidnapping, armed banditry and attacks on rural communities and travellers. Its location along routes linking Kaduna with neighbouring parts of Niger State has also left some roads and communities vulnerable to criminal groups operating in forested areas.

Must Read

Tinubu to parents of abducted pupils, your children will return home

Another fake agency scandal: Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate suspension of three permanent secretaries and the arrest of a man accused of promoting another fictitious government agency within the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.   The affected permanent secretaries are M.S. Danjuma, Nadungu Gagare and Richard P. Pheelangwah. The Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, Musa Aliyu, disclosed the development on Friday after briefing Tinubu for the second time in two days. According to Aliyu, the newly uncovered body operated as the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office and had been allocated office space within the OSGF without presidential authorisation and contrary to existing laws. The ICPC chairman identified George Buchi Nwabueze as the promoter of the office and said he allegedly operated under several variations of his name. “The promoter was discovered to also operate under four other variations of his name,” Aliyu said. Tinubu subsequently directed the immediate arrest of Nwabueze and the suspension of the three permanent secretaries. Aliyu said the ICPC had engaged the OSGF to obtain information relevant to its investigation and would continue probing the circumstances surrounding the fictitious office. The latest discovery follows an earlier investigation into the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council, whose alleged promoter, Adeniyi Adeyemi, is facing prosecution over alleged forgery and impersonation. An ICPC interim report submitted to the President on August 6 had also identified two other alleged fictitious bodies: the FCT Investment Promotion Agency and the Foreign Investment Promotion Agency and Public-Private Partnership. The National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office is therefore the fourth alleged fake agency uncovered since the investigation into the PFIFC scandal began.
Read more
Tinubu to parents of abducted pupils, your children will return home

Another fake agency scandal: Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate suspension of three permanent secretaries and the arrest of a man accused of promoting another fictitious government agency within the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.   The affected permanent secretaries are M.S. Danjuma, Nadungu Gagare and Richard P. Pheelangwah. The Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, Musa Aliyu, disclosed the development on Friday after briefing Tinubu for the second time in two days. According to Aliyu, the newly uncovered body operated as the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office and had been allocated office space within the OSGF without presidential authorisation and contrary to existing laws. The ICPC chairman identified George Buchi Nwabueze as the promoter of the office and said he allegedly operated under several variations of his name. “The promoter was discovered to also operate under four other variations of his name,” Aliyu said. Tinubu subsequently directed the immediate arrest of Nwabueze and the suspension of the three permanent secretaries. Aliyu said the ICPC had engaged the OSGF to obtain information relevant to its investigation and would continue probing the circumstances surrounding the fictitious office. The latest discovery follows an earlier investigation into the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council, whose alleged promoter, Adeniyi Adeyemi, is facing prosecution over alleged forgery and impersonation. An ICPC interim report submitted to the President on August 6 had also identified two other alleged fictitious bodies: the FCT Investment Promotion Agency and the Foreign Investment Promotion Agency and Public-Private Partnership. The National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office is therefore the fourth alleged fake agency uncovered since the investigation into the PFIFC scandal began.
Ezri Konsa signs his Arsenal contract after completing a £51 million transfer from Aston Villa.

Arsenal sign Ezri Konsa from Aston Villa for £51m

Premier League champions Arsenal have completed the signing of England defender Ezri Konsa from Aston Villa for a reported £51 million ($69 million), strengthening their defence ahead of the new season.   The 28-year-old has signed a long-term contract with Arsenal and is expected to play a key role in manager Mikel Arteta’s plans as the Gunners begin their title defence. Konsa is set to partner Gabriel Magalhaes in central defence following William Saliba’s lengthy absence with a back injury. Jurrien Timber’s fitness is also a concern after his long-term groin problem. The England international could make his Arsenal debut against his former club when the Gunners travel to Aston Villa on August 31. “It’s a privilege to be here and I can’t wait to get started,” Konsa said. “I want to keep winning, I’m hungry to win and that’s what I’m here for.” Arsenal sporting director Andrea Berta praised Konsa’s quality, athleticism and tactical intelligence, while highlighting his ability to operate both at centre-back and right-back. The defender completed his medical at Arsenal’s London Colney training ground on Thursday before finalising the move. Konsa said conversations with Arsenal’s England players, including Noni Madueke, Eberechi Eze, Declan Rice and Bukayo Saka, helped convince him to join the Premier League champions. The defender joined Villa from Brentford in 2019 and made nearly 300 appearances for the club. He helped Villa win the Europa League last season and finish in the Premier League’s top four twice in the last three seasons. His departure comes during a significant period of change at Villa, with Youri Tielemans, Morgan Rogers and Lucas Digne also leaving the club during the close season. The signing is Arsenal’s latest major addition after the club won their first English league title in 22 years. The Gunners have also recruited Bruno Guimaraes and Christos Tzolis, while Piero Hincapie’s loan move from Bayer Leverkusen was made permanent.

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.