/ May 19, 2026
/ May 19, 2026

Education

  • All
  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Aviation
  • Banking
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • fashion
  • Health
  • Home
  • International
  • lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Nigeria
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sport
  • sports
  • Tech
  • Technology
  • World News
2024 WASSCE: 1.8m candidates set to take exams

April 30, 2024

The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has said 1.8 million candidates will sit for this year’s West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) for School Candidates. The examination begins today...

WAEC blacklists Abia schools over malpractice

March 21, 2024

The West African Examinations Council (WAEC), has barred some secondary schools in Abia State from participating in the regional body’s examination over involvement in examination malpractice. Commissioner for Education Prof....

Trending

Man City set to replace Guardiola with Maresca

Man City set to replace Guardiola with Maresca

Enzo Maresca is set to replace Pep Guardiola as Manchester City manager before next season. As BBC Sport reported on Monday, iconic City boss Guardiola is expected to leave the club following this Sunday’s home game against Aston Villa at Etihad Stadium, their final game of the season. Former Chelsea head coach Maresca has been identified as the leading contender to replace the legendary Spaniard for the 2026-27 season. With City preparing for Guardiola’s summer exit for more than six months, talks with Maresca are at an advanced stage. The 46-year-old wants the job and is expected to be confirmed as Guardiola’s successor in due course. The Italian manager, who won the Club World Cup and Conference League while securing Champions League qualification during his only full season at Stamford Bridge, previously worked at City. He worked directly under Guardiola during City’s treble-winning 2022-23 campaign and played a key role in the club’s academy prior to joining the first team. The former West Brom and Juventus midfielder left City in 2023 to manage Leicester, whom he guided to promotion to the Premier League in his only season. Guardiola said previously: “One of the best managers in the world, Enzo Maresca, I know him quite well but, the job he has done at Chelsea does not get enough credit. “Winning the Club World Cup, Conference League, qualification for the Champions League in a league that is so tough with a young team. It is exceptional.”
File image of Lomé, Togo, as the country announces 30-day visa-free access for all African citizens.

Togo opens borders with 30-day visa-free entry for Africans

Togo has opened its borders to all African citizens by introducing a 30-day visa-free entry policy, in a move aimed at boosting continental integration and regional cooperation. According to TheCable, the new policy took effect on Monday, allowing travellers from across Africa with valid passports to enter the country without obtaining a visa beforehand. The announcement was made on Tuesday by Calixte Madjoulba, who said the measure reflects the country’s commitment to strengthening the free movement of people and goods across the continent. Madjoulba said the policy forms part of a broader strategy by the Togolese government to position the country as a regional hub for trade, culture, services and cross-border exchange. Despite the visa exemption, the government said travellers must still comply with security, immigration and health checks before arrival. Officials said all visitors must complete an online travel declaration at least 24 hours before entering the country. The document will serve as a mandatory administrative and security clearance at all border entry points, including land, sea and air. The minister added that the visa waiver does not permit illegal entry, irregular residence or violations of national security regulations. The move places Togo alongside Rwanda and Kenya among African countries offering visa-free travel for citizens of African Union member states. The development also comes days after Nigeria announced a reciprocal 30-day visa-free entry arrangement for Rwandan citizens. The African Union’s Agenda 2063 and its African passport initiative continue to push for easier movement across the continent, although adoption remains uneven among member states.
Desmond Elliot speaking during a television interview on allegations surrounding Mudashiru Obasa’s impeachment in Lagos.

Desmond Elliot denies role in Obasa impeachment saga

Desmond Elliot has denied claims that he orchestrated the 2025 impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa, insisting he only signed the document after most lawmakers had already backed the move. Speaking on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Tuesday, Elliot said he was out of Nigeria when the decision to remove Obasa was taken and had no hand in initiating the process. The denial followed comments by Femi Gbajabiamila, who told APC stakeholders in Lagos that Elliot was among those involved in the controversial move against the Speaker. Gbajabiamila said the crisis nearly cost him his position in government. Elliot rejected that account, saying the issue had already been resolved and the Lagos Assembly had moved on after Obasa’s reinstatement. He said he initially believed the removal had the blessing of Bola Tinubu and only signed after returning to Nigeria and seeing that most lawmakers had already endorsed the action. According to Elliot, Tinubu later clarified that he neither authorised nor ordered Obasa’s removal, prompting lawmakers to reverse course and restore the Speaker. The Surulere lawmaker also said he was shocked by Gbajabiamila’s public comments, noting that he had always regarded the former Speaker of the House of Representatives as a political mentor. Elliot, who is seeking a fourth term in the Lagos State House of Assembly, also dismissed speculation that APC leaders were backing another candidate to replace him ahead of party primaries. He said no senior party official had asked him to withdraw from the race and maintained that his political future should be decided by voters in Surulere. The Channels Television report recalled that Obasa was removed in early 2025 over allegations of abuse of office and gross misconduct. Mojisola Meranda briefly became Speaker before stepping down after Tinubu’s intervention, paving the way for Obasa’s return. A court later nullified the Assembly proceedings that led to the impeachment, effectively closing the legal chapter of the dispute.
Dangote Petroleum Refinery facility as company reduces Jet A1 aviation fuel price in Nigeria.

Dangote cuts jet fuel price to ₦1,650 amid Nigerian airline crisis

The Dangote Petroleum Refinery has reduced the price of aviation fuel, Jet A1, from ₦1,750 to ₦1,650 per litre, in a move expected to bring some relief to Nigeria’s struggling airline operators. According to a report by Punch Newspapers, the refinery announced the reduction on Monday, saying the new price forms part of wider measures aimed at stabilising fuel supply and easing financial strain on the aviation sector. The decision follows repeated warnings from the Airline Operators of Nigeria that rising aviation fuel costs could force domestic airlines to suspend operations. Operators said prices surged sharply after the recent US-Iran conflict, climbing from about ₦900 per litre before the crisis to between ₦2,700 and ₦2,900, with some marketers reportedly charging as much as ₦3,300. In its statement, the refinery said the latest price cut also comes with a 30-day interest-free credit facility for marketers and airlines, supported by bank guarantees. It also confirmed a switch from dollar-based pricing to a naira-denominated system. The company said the package is designed to reduce the burden on local carriers, as aviation fuel remains one of the largest operational expenses for airlines. Industry stakeholders have repeatedly warned that soaring Jet A1 prices are threatening the sustainability of air travel operations in the country, with operators struggling to keep ticket prices affordable while covering rising overheads. The refinery said the intervention should lower fuel procurement costs, improve operational stability and support efforts to moderate airfares for passengers. The latest move comes as businesses across Nigeria continue to feel the impact of global oil market disruptions linked to heightened tensions between the United States and Iran.

Must Read

Man City set to replace Guardiola with Maresca

Man City set to replace Guardiola with Maresca

Enzo Maresca is set to replace Pep Guardiola as Manchester City manager before next season. As BBC Sport reported on Monday, iconic City boss Guardiola is expected to leave the club following this Sunday’s home game against Aston Villa at Etihad Stadium, their final game of the season. Former Chelsea head coach Maresca has been identified as the leading contender to replace the legendary Spaniard for the 2026-27 season. With City preparing for Guardiola’s summer exit for more than six months, talks with Maresca are at an advanced stage. The 46-year-old wants the job and is expected to be confirmed as Guardiola’s successor in due course. The Italian manager, who won the Club World Cup and Conference League while securing Champions League qualification during his only full season at Stamford Bridge, previously worked at City. He worked directly under Guardiola during City’s treble-winning 2022-23 campaign and played a key role in the club’s academy prior to joining the first team. The former West Brom and Juventus midfielder left City in 2023 to manage Leicester, whom he guided to promotion to the Premier League in his only season. Guardiola said previously: “One of the best managers in the world, Enzo Maresca, I know him quite well but, the job he has done at Chelsea does not get enough credit. “Winning the Club World Cup, Conference League, qualification for the Champions League in a league that is so tough with a young team. It is exceptional.”
Read more
Man City set to replace Guardiola with Maresca

Man City set to replace Guardiola with Maresca

Enzo Maresca is set to replace Pep Guardiola as Manchester City manager before next season. As BBC Sport reported on Monday, iconic City boss Guardiola is expected to leave the club following this Sunday’s home game against Aston Villa at Etihad Stadium, their final game of the season. Former Chelsea head coach Maresca has been identified as the leading contender to replace the legendary Spaniard for the 2026-27 season. With City preparing for Guardiola’s summer exit for more than six months, talks with Maresca are at an advanced stage. The 46-year-old wants the job and is expected to be confirmed as Guardiola’s successor in due course. The Italian manager, who won the Club World Cup and Conference League while securing Champions League qualification during his only full season at Stamford Bridge, previously worked at City. He worked directly under Guardiola during City’s treble-winning 2022-23 campaign and played a key role in the club’s academy prior to joining the first team. The former West Brom and Juventus midfielder left City in 2023 to manage Leicester, whom he guided to promotion to the Premier League in his only season. Guardiola said previously: “One of the best managers in the world, Enzo Maresca, I know him quite well but, the job he has done at Chelsea does not get enough credit. “Winning the Club World Cup, Conference League, qualification for the Champions League in a league that is so tough with a young team. It is exceptional.”
File image of Lomé, Togo, as the country announces 30-day visa-free access for all African citizens.

Togo opens borders with 30-day visa-free entry for Africans

Togo has opened its borders to all African citizens by introducing a 30-day visa-free entry policy, in a move aimed at boosting continental integration and regional cooperation. According to TheCable, the new policy took effect on Monday, allowing travellers from across Africa with valid passports to enter the country without obtaining a visa beforehand. The announcement was made on Tuesday by Calixte Madjoulba, who said the measure reflects the country’s commitment to strengthening the free movement of people and goods across the continent. Madjoulba said the policy forms part of a broader strategy by the Togolese government to position the country as a regional hub for trade, culture, services and cross-border exchange. Despite the visa exemption, the government said travellers must still comply with security, immigration and health checks before arrival. Officials said all visitors must complete an online travel declaration at least 24 hours before entering the country. The document will serve as a mandatory administrative and security clearance at all border entry points, including land, sea and air. The minister added that the visa waiver does not permit illegal entry, irregular residence or violations of national security regulations. The move places Togo alongside Rwanda and Kenya among African countries offering visa-free travel for citizens of African Union member states. The development also comes days after Nigeria announced a reciprocal 30-day visa-free entry arrangement for Rwandan citizens. The African Union’s Agenda 2063 and its African passport initiative continue to push for easier movement across the continent, although adoption remains uneven among member states.

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.